1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wine making at home

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Douglas, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Douglas

Douglas Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a website for home wine making but I'm short of recipes for vegetable wines. Any ideas ? douglasmartin.uwclub.net

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Douglas, Really into your veg aren't you?

I don't make it now, but I used to love parsnip wine:

Ingredients :-

* 4lb. parsnips.
    * 3lb. granulated sugar.
    * 1. gallon of cold water.
    * 1. lemon.
    * prepared juice of half lb.
    * raisins.
    * campden tablets. (optional)
    * pectic enzyme (optional)
    * Wine yeast. & yeast nutrient. (Vitamin C tablets).

Instructions :-

This wine is best made in February or March with parsnips which have remained in the ground all the winter (for natural sugar to produce). Prepare your raisins ahead. That is, give them a brief wash in near boiling water to remove the waxy coat that the producers apply. Allow the raisins to cool enough to handle and then cut them up. Now simmer the raisins in just enough water to cover them (If in doubt add a touch more than enough. After simmering for about 5 minutes strain through a muslin cloth. The raisin liquid is needed later on. Scrub the parsnips well, but do not peel them. Slice them thinly and put them in a large saucepan or preserving pan. Pour in 1 gallon of cold water, or, if you haven't a saucepan big enough, cook 1lb. of parsnips and half of a gallon of water at a time. Cook the parsnips until they are tender, but not mushy. When they are cooked, strain the liquid off. After strain, throw away the parsnips and return the liquid to the pan. add the 3lb. of sugar, the raisin liquid, and the lemon juice and zest, having removed the pith. Simmer for three quarters of an hour, stirring occasionally. Strain again into a plastic bucket, and when lukewarm add the pectic enzyme and a crushed campden tablet (if used). Leave for 24 hours, placing the bucket in a warm room. Stir in the yeast and yeast nutrient. Cover the bucket and leave in the warm for four days. Then stir it well . Transfer liquid to fermenting jar and follow normal methods. When racked off and bottled leave at least one year.

3. Douglas

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the recipe John. I'll get this on to my website as soon as I can.

4. Douglas

Ratings:
    +0
    I have put this on the "white Wine" page and noted the recipe source. website is http://www.douglasmartin.uwclub.net. Thanks again

[ 08. April 2008, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: Douglas ]

5. joyce42

joyce42 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Does anyone have the recipe for the Victorian cold cure,I have forgotten it's name made with elderberries.It helps kill off virus.Very good for coughs too. J

6. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Comfrey - Elderberry Cold and Fever Remedy
    This remedy reduces fever associated with cold by inducing perspiration.

1/2 cup of elderberries
    several leaves of comfrey - chopped
    1 cup of honey
    1 cup of distilled water

Chop several leaves of comfrey. Add 1/2 cup of elderberries, 1 cup of honey, and 1 cup of water. Simmer for 30 minutes. Strain. Take as needed to produce perspiration and reduce fever.

The comfrey leaves produce an aspirin- like substance that help to ease the discomforts of a cold. It also soothes inflamed mucous membranes of the throat. Comfrey is a demulcent, and an expectorant. The elderberries, a diuretic, serve to flush the system.

P.S. It doesn't cure the common cold. Just reduces the symptoms.

7. joyce42

joyce42 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you Sarraceniac,my recipe didn't have comfry but that will be a bonus. Elderberries definately have anti viral properties.J