1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter baskets and pots

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Star Jasmine, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Star Jasmine

Star Jasmine Gardener

Ratings:
    +62
    I've got two hanging baskets and two heavy pots for the front of my house which still have the (now dead) summer plants in. I've moved them to the back garden to get them out of sight, but have just been so busy lately that I haven't had any time to get to the garden centre for new winter/spring plants.

The next opportunity I'll get will probably be next Saturday 29th November. Bit late in the year though - what are the best plants to be buying and planting in pots and baskets at that time, if any? I'd like the front of my house to look reasonably presentable over Christmas! I did yellow and lilac themed last year so was hoping to go for something different this time. Inspiration needed... or have I left it too late?

2. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    • Like Like x 1
    • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
      Ratings:
      +7,625
      Winter pansies? Loads of different and bright colours.

November is the time to plant up spring bulbs - which would suit the pots at the front - for a nice display next year. B&Q were/are selling off their spring bulbs - I plumped for 2 varieties of tulip - Giuseppe Verdi and Washington - different shaped flowers but both yellow with maroon markings.

They were 'on sale' £2 each or 3 for £6 :snork:.

• beststriker

beststriker Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0