Winter crops

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Richard360, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Richard360

Richard360 Super Gardener

Bulider
    Ratings:
    +1,069
    Hey there every one what's every ones plans for growing over winter in the polly tunnel I am going to give a few veg a go and some lettuces

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Christmas spuds, Lambs Lettuce (takes ages to establish, so need to start that now), leaf beet (good cropping in the early Spring). You should get an Autumn crop of French beans if sown now (Dwarf are better in the greenhouse than climbing ones)

I don't bother with winter lettuces, the results have never seemed worth the effort so after a few winters trying I gave up on them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Jangles

Jangles Gardener

Ratings:
      +23
      Ooooh , winter tates , I shall have a go at them , oh hang on , im gonna let my girls over winter in the tunnel - i may have to fence a bit off, or do you think they wont eat the leaves ??

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Chickens? Do they need to overwinter indoors? Ours wander the garden Summer or Winter, Rain or Shine ...

I would have thought they would have wrecked any plants in a confined area - scrabbling about. Mine do!