1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Winter Pots and Planters

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by jazid, Dec 11, 2006.

1. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    There is a Solanum cultivar that is pretty much hardy now, and although it is common and I use it I can't currently remember what it is called. Of course the berries get eaten but the plant remains evergreen, and indeed the rich green matt foliage is a good foil for the more decorative evergreen glossy foliage of pieris, euonymus etc.

2. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    oooohh..those are lovely jazid. [​IMG]

3. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks jazid - but its not the plants I am worried about, I am afraid I am tender perenial here!

Oh and you are right, how some evergreens colour up better in the frost my euonimous goes pink as well as green/yellow /white, I bet that would look good in pots too.

4. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  5. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Has anyone thoughts for their spring planters or spring in general.A nice time of year Spring.

6. Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Pittosporum is a plant I use in the garden, and in containers all year around ....there are several varieties; I have the Garnettie, Irene Patterson, Variegatum, amongst mine, and they withstand temperatures so diverse as from 42+�°C to -11�° C.....they love sun and cloud alike, give a special 'illumination' to any part of the garden and in tubs can of course be moved about to lighten a shady spot.. they need virtually no attention save for a pruning now and again to keep them to a required size .....in the containers I put geraniums etc.. for Spring summer flowering ....and heathers, cyclamen etc in "winter" ..... lovely specimens .... M-L :cool:

7. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,720
    Hello, M-L .. you're looking very nice for the New Year. Must admit, didn't like you the other way! :eek:

I hope you had a good Christmas and New Year as we did here.

Today it is gloriously warm, well 16oC, and we did our weekly shop and had a light lunch in the hills in a place called Amorosa! We sat outside and I'm afraid I got a little sun on my face ... just the thing for early January!

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your pots and containers.

Bom ano novo!

8. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,720
    Jazid, I must say I'm surprised you suggested Solanum for hanging baskets, or did I miss something?

I have the rantonetii, the jasminoides and now the wendlandii and I can't imagine them in baskets .. perhaps large pots!

9. Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi LOL Bonne Ann�©e !Bonne Sant�© et le bonheur !

My photo is my home at the Louvre !! :D

Christmas was very pleasant with a very festive look about us, we had a frost !!!!! for about 4 days including Christmas Day....down to about -4�° :eek: ......but a couple of days later the temperature zoomed up to 17�° and on Saturday last it was a glorious 18�° with aperetifs at lunchtime on the terrace .....! we are lucky aren't we ! I don't know how Christmas pans out in Portugal but I expect it's very much like here, with the family meal on the eve of the 24th, the 25th is for the children and then that's it until the adults have their treats for New Year .....a lot less hectic than the UK ...which has my vote !! in fact here in our rural idyll it could pass us by..... I have now taken down all cards and other Christmas adornements ..I always do before the 6th ....but on the 6th we shall celebrate Epiphany, culmunating with the Gateaux of the Kings ......another tradition which I'm sure you will share....

I will get around to some photos before too long ! regards .... M-L :cool:

10. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Galettes des rois...... how I remember making them with a classful of year 7s.... (11-12 year-olds, that is!

A lovely memory, of them all covered in flour, but enjoying themselves! :D

A bit off thread, sorry.....