1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

winter veg in greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by dentondave, Nov 10, 2012.

1. dentondave

dentondave Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    I am planning to grow some vegetables in the greenhouse through the winter. Will I be able to use the seed I normally use in the garden or is it essential that I purchase more dedicated seeds for this.
    I was hoping to grow lettuce, radish, spring greens and I would love to hear what other s are growing.

Thanks oh by the way I was on before but lost my log in details

Dave, Denton Newhaven East Sussex

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome back Dave.

Its a bit late to get things going from seed now, the light levels have dropped & even in the greenhouse things will get leggy & prone to fungal attacks. When the frost comes it will still get into an unheated greenhouse i'm afraid.

Might be worth a shot with some Lambs Lettuce & Land Cress, but even those I would have started off in August for a winter crop.

3. Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
    Ratings:
    +10,739
    As Zigs says, light levels are low now for most things.

It might be worth trying Mizuna though. It will still germinate at low temperatures, I've got some I sowed last month in an unheated greenhouse, which is still actively growing.

You could try Rocket too. We had quite a lot in a greenhouse at work which had gone to seed. We pulled it all out while having a tidy up in the greenhouse a couple of weeks ago and there are already hundreds of new plants which have germinated from seed which dropped there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Good call Trunky:blue thumb: Forgot about Mizuna.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,169
      A bit too late for starting from seed now as others have said. I've got some lettuce, spinach and rocket in my greenhouse (sown a couple of months ago), but it's hardly growing this year, usually it would be providing a few salad leaves - just too dim and cold this season.

• Like Like x 1
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        What if the seeds were started in a heated propagator, then once germinated, moved out the greenhouse?

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Still too late IMHO. They won't build up into "plants" in time.

Buying some decent sized plants at the garden centre might do the trick. That would gain you a month's growth, maybe 6 weeks ... but I sow my winter greenhouse in August, as others have already said.

• justracing

justracing Gardener

Jobbing builder/landscaper
        Ratings:
        +53
        I have mixed lettuce in pots with plastic bells on top and carrots as well. Both germinated weeks ago but I picked enough salad leaves for a meal this evening. Doubtfull about the carrots coming to anything, I might have to eat the leaves with the salad stuff!