1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wisteria

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Soiled, May 19, 2018.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,722
    No only cut out any badly placed branches at this time of the year.
    The flowering is not determined by the branch, it is determined by conditions and the pruning.
    You say in the original post it gets pruned quite a lot, which suggests that the pruning has been wrong and taking out the potential flowering shoots.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
      +491
      From memory, you want to do most pruning just after the flowers finish. Then it gets a chance to set up for next year.

• Like Like x 1
      • Philly

Philly Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
      • Philly

Ratings:
        +1
        Thanks for all the advice. This is what I got this year . . I'll put other pictures of it earlier in the year.

• Philly

Ratings:
        +1
        20190412_181324.jpg 20190412_181324.jpg 20190412_181356.jpg 20190412_181408.jpg 20190412_181414.jpg 20190412_181422.jpg 20190412_181324.jpg

Attached Files:

• Philly

Ratings:
        +1
      • Philly

Ratings:
        +1
        When is the best time to feed the wisteria please ?

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,722
        Personally I wouldn't bother, when they get that big they can look after themselves.
        To me it appears to be fine, just make sure you cut the long summer growths back in July.

It appear to be one of the type that flower after the leaves have formed, some flower on bare stems before the leaves.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
          +491
          That looks like a floribunda macrobotrys, same as what I had. As @pete says, the leaves come first and then the flowers. This variety has very long flower racemes, but it isn't as free-flowering as the Chinese wisteria (sinensis).

Looking at it though, you're missing one big thing with the pruning. Wisteria only really wants to flower on horizontal branches. You've got some nice training along straining wires, but most of the wall is covered with vertical branches which will produce nothing but leaves. I think you want more straining wires and a lot less vertical branches. I'd say leave it be until after spring, but then decide what's going to be the start of new horizontal branches and what isn't needed, and don't be afraid to be ruthless about cutting out anything which doesn't fit the plan.

On a similar theme too, there seem to be a lot of places where branches are crossing. Two branches trained down a wire in opposite directions will happily coexist. But a random vertical branch rubbing against a horizontal branch is going to open up the bark and leave it open to infection. I can see dozens of places like this, and you don't want that. Another reason to cut out those vertical branches.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
            +491
            Oh, and to echo pete, I don't think you need to worry about feeding when it's this mature.

• Like Like x 1
            • Philly

Ratings:
              +1
              Thanks guys, that's really useful info. Just what I was looking for. Thanks again.