1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Wood chipping as mulch.

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Joolz, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Joolz

Joolz Gardener

Ratings:
    +884
    I had some trees trimmed last September and asked the chaps to 'chip' all the branches for me. I haven't bagged them up as I thought it might be a good idea for them to breathe and let any sap leech out. Would they now be ok to be used as a mulch in my borders and around the roses I have in planters?

Would it be worth me bagging them up, possibly in a breathable bag rather than empty compost bags?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  2. Joolz

Joolz Gardener

Ratings:
    +884
    Sorry to bump the post but if anyone can offer any advice, it would be much appreciated. xx

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,169
    I would think your chippings will be good to use now, just keep them away from the stem of the roses. If you have any left over then yes use hessian bags or similar otherwise they will sweat like you say.

• Like Like x 1
    • Joolz

Joolz Gardener

Ratings:
      +884
      Thank you @JWK I really appreciate the advice.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • burnie

burnie Super Gardener

Retired engineer
        Ratings:
        +4,056
        I bought a small shredder and use my chippings as a mulch(all be it on a Beech hedge), just let them compost in a heap for a few weeks and on they go, no problems so far and they are helping keep the weeds down.