1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Worth waking-up for...

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by DaveP, Jun 9, 2006.

1. DaveP

DaveP Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I realised this Epiphyllum was about to flower, so I'm glad I was awake to see it. The flower is just over 25cms. (10") across and has an intense, penetrating fragrance not unlike that of many Brugmansias. I'm pretty sure it is a form of Epiphyllum crenatum, or at least a primary hybrid with it as a parent. It's such a shame that the flowers of true Epiphyllums are so short-lived, but maybe such ephemeral qualities add to their charm.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,035
      You beat me to it Dave, I've got a pink one thats likely to open tonight.
      Your plant looks a bit more compact than mine though.

• DaveP

DaveP Gardener

Ratings:
      +5
      Well, I've sort of confirmed it is likely to be 'Cooperi' aka Epiphyllum crenatum 'Kimnachii'. Unfortunately, some consider it to be a hybrid between E. crenatum and Selenicereus grandiflorus as well, so there is a deal of confusion - or at least uncertainty. I can easily see the reasoning for both schools of thought.

It is a young plant Pete, sent to me as a couple of 25cms. unrooted stems from southern Italy about 18 months ago. I put them together and so far, it is a 'bush' of 60 - 70cms. high paddle-like, leaf-like stems. In time it will be much, much wider and taller, so I suppose I'd better appreciate its compact qualities while I can. I used to grow quite a few 'Epis' many moons ago. For some reason, I've become increasingly re-interested in them - even though I'm not normally into 'blowsy flowers'.

• Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      wonderful pictures - congratulations, it must have been difficult to tear yourself away and go to bed. :D

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,035
      Its just opened, so I took a pic anyway, I dont know its parentage, I grew it many years ago from seed as usual, but they are amazing flowers and I can see why you might be becoming re-interested in them.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
      • DaveP

DaveP Gardener

Ratings:
        +5
        This one opened a few weeks ago and again the plant is a relative youngster. These brightly colored forms, which are called 'Epiphyllums', rarely have much if any true Epiphyllum in their background and are usually a mixture of the various sections of the recently expanded genera Disocactus and Selenicereus. I suppose they could be distinguished as Epiphyllum hort. but most still refer to them as 'Epi hybrids' and leave it at that.

This hybrid has medium sized flowers to 15cms. across with a slight orange glow that certainly gives the red a lift. It produces two types of stems: thin, whip-like, terete stems which grow to 40cms or so before flattening at their tips and flat and secondary, leaf-like stems which arise from their upper sections. Flowers are freely borne on the secondary stems, often more than once per year.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
        • pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,035
          So you think mine probably isn't an epiphyllum as such.
          I know there is quite a lot of hybrids about.
          Mine stared out from seed with small cylindrical stems, later triangular section stems which later flatterned and these are the ones that flower.
          Selenicerus, isn't that "the queen of the night", long lanky stems, that would explain why mine is so uncontrollable.
          Have you had any seed pods, I've got an idea they maybe edible, if a bit seedy.

• bluemolly

bluemolly Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +0
          Wow, as a novice to all things green, I am so impressed, by all the photographs and achievements. Ah! maybe someday I will learn to grow such beauties. I can but dream.

• pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,035
          Believe it or not Bluemolly, they're not that difficult. [​IMG]

• DaveP

DaveP Gardener

Ratings:
          +5
          I don't think many of the brightly coloured reds or pinks have much if any true Epiphyllum in them at all. That red I posted earlier is probably pure Disocactus, now the genus has been so greatly expanded. Its whip-like primary stems suggest that the former Aporocactus might be tucked away in there and the scarlet would come from the former Heliocereus speciosus. Yours probably has a good helping of Selenicereus (formerly Nopalxochia) phyllanthoides, the expanding outer sepals suggest yet more Selenicereus - probably some grandiflorus. The lanky growth might come from that species as well. There may even be a bit of Epiphyllum crenatum in there, but that would be many, many generations ago.

Yes - S. grandiflorus is the original 'Queen of the Night', but the term is also applied to several night blooming cacti within this group.

I've had a few fruits on Hylocereus undatus (Dragon fruit) in the past. This is a huge growing species with arm-length, triangular stem sections, rambling growth and dinner-plate sized, creamy yellow flowers. It is occasionally used as stock for grafting other often totally unrelated species of cactus. Some true Epiphyllums produce large edible fruit as well. They are all very seedy and despite their exotic appearance, they don't really have much flavour. They're sweet, but that's about it.

• pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,035
          Yes thanks Dave, I think I got most of that. [​IMG]

As for the edible seed pods, I think sweet but tasteless is about right, maybe a touch of melon.
          Changing the subject slightly, well quite a lot really, I have some echinocereus plants that produce seed pods which fill the whole greenhouse with the smell of ripe melons.

I really would like to try some of those large flowered spiecies, but I dont have the space, I do have a plant of Hylocereus polyrhizus, but its not flowered yet, and there are roots everywhere. :D

• Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
          +1
          I've just planted some seeds. I have one I call an epiphyllum, but I'm not sure it is exactly that.

To be honest, when I was first given it I thought it was a just a manky cactus.

[​IMG]

• pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,035
          Interesting support Rich, I must give that a try. :D :D

• DaveP

DaveP Gardener

Ratings:
          +5
          Pete wrote:
          Well that species is one of the hardiest and I've been toying with the idea of trying it outside here - once I've got a few plants going. It is reputed to cope with occasional short-lived drops to minus 2C and would look interesting against the house wall.

Rich, if the flower colour is a tad paler in real life than in the pic, you have what was once known as Nopalxochia phyllanthoides and is now Selenicereus. It was immensely popular at one time and was also known as 'Deutche Kaiserin'. There were also a few deeper coloured forms - some hybrids and some varieties of the species. The flower configuration suggests to me that you have either the species or a deep coloured variant. Lovely thing if grow on to specimen size.

• pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +86,035
          I'd like to try that outside Dave, I think I'll take a few cuttings.
          main problem is I'm running out of warm wall.