1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

yellow lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by snadge, Apr 8, 2011.

1. snadge

snadge Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Last year mid-to-end of summer I came on here for advice about our lawns as we had just moved into a 3 bed house which has 3 big lawns, they had lots of dead dry grass underneath (thatch) and I was told to remove it, I used a lawn rake and removed enough thatch that the pile was size of small car - this was the front lawn only!!! - however it looked ugly , bare and patchy so I didnt do the other lawns... i put some lawn seeds down and fed the lawns (evergreen and miracle gro). after a month or two they went darker green and the patches filled in a bit...

well.. its now April the following year and we have cut the grass for the first time and most of it is yellow underneath, dry and dead looking, there are even some white patches?? it looks worse than it did last year before I treated it... and, the patches that were re-seeded last year are back again.. the grass that grew hasnt returned this year? why is that? - same around the back where we had big bare patch of just soil.. I threw down some seeds and fed it and after month or so it was thick lush green...now this year its bare again?? I thought it would just stay as is?

Iam after advice on what to do this year please? - hopefully this time I can do more/better as Iam here before summer rather than near end of it.

thanks

here are some photos

SIDE LAWN:
    [​IMG]

FRONT LAWN:
    [​IMG]

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    It`s quite simple Snadge, take the advice you were given last year. buy a cheap electric lawn rake and bite the bullet. THEN reseed all the bald areas. In two years you will have the ideal lawns. At the mo you are just throwing money away.:dbgrtmb:

3. snadge

Ratings:
    +0
    defo need electric rake for side lawn... but the front lawn is thinned, no thatch at all... so I gues I have to over-seed it throughly and roll it

is it safe to put down lawn feed after seeding?

4. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Hi Snadge, I wouldn't feed a re seeded lawn for the first six months. Having said that, I have used Miracle Gro seeds ready mixed with feed and it was extremely good. Grew very fast and was lush in about 3 months.

5. snadge

Ratings:
    +0
    ive been using water based soluble feeds, ive been told dry feed can burn the grass???

anyway I put the last of my miracle gro down on front lawn (all i had enough for) and the patchy seeds I put down last year are thriving on it lol... my lawn is a mix of greens and yellow .. looks horrid...

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I only dry feed mine when I'm sure its going to rain "heavily" within the next 24 hours

Even that may not be enough for a new-sown lawn (but I don't know for sure)