Yellowing leaves on Cucumbers

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Darth Weeder, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Darth Weeder

Darth Weeder Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm after some help/opinions on what's causing my the yellowing leaves on my cukes. So, I have 2 Femspots & 2 Passandra plants in the green house. I had quite a bad spider mite infestation last year which caused severe yellowing and eventual dying off of the leaves. I've been vigilant this year, keeping the 'house misted and as humid as possible. However, I'm still getting this horrible yellowing of the leaves and in some places there are patches that are see-through!. I've inspected the leaves and can't find any of the little buggers (just a few aphids). Interestingly the Passandras seem to be the worst affected (and are quite stunted) whereas the Femspots are romping away (although do have a few yellowing patches). I've had an early mini-cuke of one of the Passandras (removed as it was causing the plant to droop) which tasted okay and not bitter.

I've attached a few pics. The one that shows 2 plants has the Femspot on the left and Passandra on the right. Both bought at the same time and treated/planted out the same. (plants have some know scorching on leaves from when I forgot to open the door on the hottest day of the year :frown:)

I am fearing the worst and that it's mosaic virus, but before I rip them out and torch them, does anyone have any alternative suggestions?

IMG_2552.jpg

IMG_2552.jpg

IMG_2553.jpg

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,305
    Well I think I'd get the small one out straight away.
    I'd persevere with the femspot as that appears to be growing well.

3. Darth Weeder

Darth Weeder Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks pete.

If it is CMV, any idea if I can plant replacements if I take the affected plants out? Not sure if CMV is soil borne and will just transfer to a new plant.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,305
    No, not something I know much about I'm afraid.
    Just keep washing your hands.:biggrin::biggrin:

5. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Damaged or diseased leaves. Remove them. What living portions remain, simply drain the plant of nutrients.

• Informative Informative x 1