1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Day (apart from gardening) - what took place?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by rosebay, Aug 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Ouchie!!! :cmonhug:
    What is the medical care like in Sweden? Do you have long waiting lists? Is it all private? :noidea:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
      Ratings:
      +5,368
      We have the both the equivalent of the NHS, and some private doctors. Being Sweden, our "NHS" works better than private medical care. By law, non life threatening illnesses have to be attended to within 90 days. More serious ones within 14 days.

One major difference is that we have to pay to see the Doctor/Nurse/etc. up to a maximum at present of about £90 per year, then its free for the remainder of the period. Medication costs up to a maximum of about £150 for a year.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +89,899
        Hi @Sandy Ground I am sure the physiotherapy will prove to be successful my friend,take it easy and enjoy your day:smile:

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Loopylupin

Loopylupin Gardener

Carer of little people
          Ratings:
          +201
          Afternoon all.
          Lovely relaxing holiday so far, driving through the Vosges mountains today, had to keep my husband in check, he gets a bit excited when there's twisty mountain roads!!! I'm sure it felt more thrilling and less scary when we were here four years ago....on the motorbike:snorky:. Black Forest next week.
          20170801_172323.jpg IMG-20170802-WA0006.jpg IMG-20170802-WA0008.jpg 20170731_205802.jpg

• Like Like x 6
          • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
            Ratings:
            +54,374
            Morning all , hope life is being good to you all!

@Sandy Ground , hope the pain is not too bad and that things will soon improve for you.
            I have had an ongoing shoulder problem for almost a year now , had steroid injections and physiotherapy now have to see orthopaedic consultant in a couple of weeks time.....mine was hinderd by having to use crutches for 3months at the beginning of the year after having an operation. So I know how debilitating it is with only having the use of one good arm!! Take care.

Well I'm back home for a few days after being up in London to be near my poorly sister . It's been a mixture of improvements and setbacks this week...which we were warned would happen. She had also been in low spirit too , so I have spent most of the week just sitting and holding her hand. She will be in hospital for at least another 4/5 weeks....so still along way to go.
            I have been up with her on my own , so looking forward to chilling a bit this weekend ,knowing a cousin of ours will be visiting her.

@Loopylupin .....your holiday sounds amazing.....have fun!!

• Friendly Friendly x 4
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,517
              We have a little bit of a local crisis at the moment.

Some years ago travellers moved onto the village green and, unfortunately, they were the type that cause trouble and mess. Prior to that we occasionally had travellers that were in transit ask if they could stay a couple of days and they were always very tidy, and welcome in the village.

The ones that were trouble (14 caravans of them) created a mess and intimidated everyone. It took the Council 8 weeks to get rid of them and cost 100k to clean up after them. Apart from all the human and dog waste they had been repairing and breaking cars and a lot of the area had to be dug out (giant puddles of engine oil, other vehicle fluids and loads of metal removed) and new soil brought in.

It was approaching the time of the annual village fete (every year for over 400 years) and half of it had to be cancelled as that area was inaccessible - the first time in all those years.

The courts issued a permanent banning order but they came back the following year. The police were notified and said that they couldn't do anything as they didn't have enough manpower. So the farmers, and two local building equipment companies said that they would bulldoze their caravans off the green :rolleyespink:. The police managed to get 50 officers together within two hours and moved them on.

Yesterday some vans turned up and camped on another part of the green (the main green is now inaccessible because of wooden posts) and eight more have ended up in the field opposite us (we're a mile from the village and that part of the field is not cultivated because one of the neighbours bought it from the farmer). We're not sure whether they're from the baddies or the goodies but they seem well behaved at the moment.

It's a pity that some of them get a bad name for the others as I used to have a lot of them as customers and they were all extremely nice people.

We just have to wait and see.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                Ratings:
                +31,955
                Funny that they can find extre PC's
                We had some people like that near here, they wouldn't move out of the famers field, so, we when through the right chanels still wouldn't move, we then said that the field was going to be spread with muck :) we made a phone call and tolled police what was going to happern (nowt was said:snorky:) in came 4 big muck spreads with pig POO ;) and started at the far end of the field, next thing, the carvans were moving fast :scratch::dunno: no one complained about the smell

@shiney is the pig farm still going by north weald airport? or has it been turned into golf course

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
              • shiney

Ratings:
                +118,517
                @Jiffy I don't think so.

If you were referring to Weald Hall Farm then I think it has been turned into a Commercial Centre. Warehouses, retail units etc. There's also a Motorcross track there and a breakers yard. There are two golf courses nearby.

We used to have a pig farm down our road (always muckspreading the field behind us) but that's now commercial storage units.

• Informative Informative x 1
                • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +28,514
                  Since moving my Mum to a Care Home near us at the end of May we haven't been able to take her out as every time we visit it is either raining or too windy or both! At last the weather was dry enough this afternoon to take her in the wheelchair around Poole Park lake and tea in a cafe.
                  She obviously enjoyed the fresh air and change of scene and gave me an excuse to delay edging up and dead heading the borders.:biggrin:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • shiney

Ratings:
                    +118,517
                    @strongylodon when my mother was in the home (spent eight years in there) we used to take her out for lunch or dinner. She used to enjoy being taken to a restaurant and the waiters always treated her very well. Her favourite was being taken to an Indian restaurant as the home made good but bland food.

More travellers have moved onto the field opposite but are not causing any nuisance - except to the neighbour who owns the land. He's going to have to clean up after them, hopefully not too much mess, but the continuous barking of the dogs is driving them mad and upsetting the neighbour's dogs and their children. The dogs themselves seemed to be well behaved and under control but are very noisy.

I've had a go at the taxman about not responding to me having a go at him :lunapic 130165696578242 5: I've received an acknowledgement and a promise of a full reply within two working days. :th scifD36:

• Like Like x 1
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +5,890
                      Had a brilliant day out in Leeds yesterday.

Visited the Emmerdale Experience, a combination of the sets they used until moving to larger studios and ones they still use today. Also, you get s good look into production methods, lighting, directing, cutting and editing etc.

A few piccies....

WP_20170827_14_12_24_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20170827_14_13_53_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20170827_14_12_55_Pro_LI.jpg

WP_20170827_13_14_40_Pro_LI.jpg

Sorry about the quality but the lighting is very dim in the studios.

Then went into the city centre for a nice meal and a quick walk around the top end. Could have done with a bit mire time in the city, a lot of time was spent hanging around the TV Studios, the actual tour was 1 hour 20 mins but we were there just under 3 hours.

It's nice to see that ( unlike Weston Super Mare ) one of the places I used to live is still as fantastic and beautiful as it was back then , if not more so.

It really does deserve to become the " Power House of The North " and I can only imagine what good HS2 will do for the area.

A few of the other people on the coach were saying how dirty, dark and horrible Birmingham is compared to Leeds and one even said that it should become the second city once HS2 is completed.

• Like Like x 5
                      • Informative Informative x 1
                      • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                        Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
                        Ratings:
                        +10,621
                        Tuesday, same as Monday, to work, to the office, or one of my other offices, do reports check on people, guide them to write better reports, oversee etc. then home, cook dinner etc. this week on Wednesday get to drive 2 hours to a Inn for a all day training on Thursday and Friday, then head back home late Friday. Me and 50 people stuck in some room to hear, I hope something not too boring. But after 45 years, told, its stuff I need to know. And my retirement is in the Spring. So end is near.

• Like Like x 3
                        • Friendly Friendly x 2
                        • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
                          Ratings:
                          +6,543
                          IMG_1155.JPG Now that the rain has stopped we decided to go and see if the Hazelnuts were ready to harvest that we pick each year.Some of the trees are now getting quiet tall so Mr Kandy had to bend some of the branches down for us to be able to pick them.Good job they are pliable :snorky:

Anyway over two hours and we managed to pick this little lot and after being dried they should last us until at least March or April:snorky:

• Like Like x 7
                          • shiney

Ratings:
                            +118,517
                            [​IMG]

:thumbsup: :hapydancsmil: :yahoo:

[​IMG]

:doh: :sad: :th scifD36: :whistle: :nonofinger: :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 3
                            • Like Like x 1
                            • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                              +28,997
                              Got up at 5:30, washed up buckets, etc. from yesterday's apple pressing, decided sunrise wouldn't be worth photographing do took Dog for a run in the woods on the West side of the hill, racked pressed apple juice off sediment, collected 7 big (8 foot x 4 foot) pallets for firewood, took Dog out and foraged some more walnuts plus around 60lbs of 'wild' apples for pressing, and pasteurised juice pressed yesterday.

Doing all the same again tommorow and the day after, important to get every locally available pallet before people get interested in Bonfire Night fuel.

As the local Moles seem to be active, might also start collecting some free (my favourite price) white rot free topsoil for growing Onions, Leeks and Garlic.

• Like Like x 4
                                Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
                              Thread Status:
                              Not open for further replies.