1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Day (apart from gardening) - what took place?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by GCHQ, Nov 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
    Ratings:
    +44,534
    Washed the sunflower bird seed feeders, then filled them with seed and hung them up.

Made a rhubarb and apple crumble for dinner first rhubarb of the season.

• Like Like x 3
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,513
      Popped out to get a quick bit of shopping really early on, then back home and washed the car....

Before:
      [​IMG]

During:
      [​IMG]

After:
      [​IMG]

Auto Glym Polar Blast (snow foam that you can see in the during picture), finished off with Auto Glym Polar Seal which gives that lovely deep shine and is extremely hydrophobic. Not cheap stuff, but really easy to use and a little goes a very long way.....

• Like Like x 6
      • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
        Ratings:
        +54,374
        I thought you had snow at first FC!!!
        10/10....you've done a good job there.:bigthumb:

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +49,513
          Thank you. These two cleaning products allow me to cheat considerably, as they do all the work to be honest - my days of spending hours polishing a car are gone sadly. I would highly recommend these products to anyone, but especially to folks who are not just as physically able as they used to be. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
            Ratings:
            +2,369
            Washed our cars yesterday for the first time in a log while. Snow foam is a fantastic product and saves a lot of effort. Took the truck out today and its as dirty again !

I need to compound the truck as its lost a bit of its gleam after 5 years. A job for slightly warmer weather

• Like Like x 2
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
              Ratings:
              +31,871
              FC, you can come and do our car any day but it will be every day, as our road is clean !!!!

DSCF1667.JPG

• Funny Funny x 3
              • Like Like x 1
              • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                Ratings:
                +44,534
                Just gave the boys their 3rd walk and got wet. Cooking the dinner breaded chicken portion with chips and baked beans.

• Like Like x 2
                • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +9,233
                  I’m totally with you about the single colour LED lights. The only advantage I can imagine is that it takes out that “did I turn the kettle on, or just fill it?” thought.

However, we bought a “cheapo” kettle from Lidl a couple of years ago. It’s got changing colour LED lights. They go through a set pattern, with each colour denoting a different temp. Not too worried about the “lower” colours, but the top three, green - 85c, Yellow - 90c, red - 95+c are actually very useful!!

• Like Like x 3
                  • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +9,233
                    I’ve had a strange old morning....

It started with finishing a WASGIJ that I was doing, then packing it away, marking the box - 2 missing pieces! The first time I’ve bought one from a charity shop with missing pieces!
                    Then I grabbed a couple more 1000 piece jigsaws that I’ve done, and drove over to Waterloo (buying some milk from the farm as I went past). Delivered the jigsaws to a friend who is in voluntary isolation following possible exposure to someone who had tested positive to Covid19. I may well have prevented a family meltdown there - they were already getting cabin-fever on day 2!

Then back home to a bit of cleaning, and sorting the knitting patterns from my MiL. Not sure I will ever use them, but I feel I have to keep them, to honour her memory... I found some lovely momentos amongst the patterns as I went through them, including handmade Mother’s Day cards from hubby to her, and a pencil drawing of her as a 10-year old, done by her uncle. Frames for these preciouses will be found this afternoon...
                    :wub2:

• Like Like x 3
                    • Friendly Friendly x 2
                    • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                      Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
                      Ratings:
                      +10,544
                      :campfire: a tree stump.

• Like Like x 4
                      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                        Ratings:
                        +118,388
                        This evening will be an interesting one. We have been invited to friends but some weeks after receiving, and accepting, the invitation I got a message from one of my ex-staff.

They have organised a reunion of ex-staff at a pub. I've been retired 20 years :old: and in 2007 they organised a big get together for the 50th anniversary of my business. They had hired a hall, organised a buffet and a disco. It was good to see so many of them that were still in touch with each other. There were over 100 of them (partners included). I enjoyed it but ended up deaf in one ear for three days from the disco being so loud! :sad:

This time there definitely won't be so many of them and I've no idea whether they will just be meeting in the bar, no partners, or have hired a room. As I shall be at friends I shall just go to the pub for ten minutes to say hello. One of them is driving 250 miles from N. Devon and is the oldest remaining member of staff at the grand old age of 86. All but two of them came to me from school and were trained by me.

They were a good crowd of employees and I always enjoyed going to work. I helped a lot of them start up their own businesses, sorted out a lot of their problems, helped some through divorces and others through cancer and bereavements. A lot them still keep in touch regularly and it will be good seeing some of them that I haven't seen since last century. :dbgrtmb:

• Friendly Friendly x 5
                        • Like Like x 1
                        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                          +100,836
                          Due to the economics of today's car manufacturers my car, Ford C Max, has had no spare tyre but just a can of foam to inject into a flat tyre. I've never liked the idea and earlier this week my neighbour's daughter had a flat tyre on his driveway and, again, had no spare tyre. They struggled to take the tyre off as the driveway is on a slope and the jack they had was not good, and in the end they took the tyre to the local Tyre Fitter who put a new tyre on.....job done, apart from the struggle to get the jack to raise the car high enough to slide the new tyre back on.
                          So, not wanting the same experience, I bought an alloy wheel for my car, at a reasonable price, and when it was delivered today at mid-day I took it straight to my local Tyre Fitter and he put a new tyre on in minutes. I also bought a new hydraulic jack to supplement the Ford jack and all I have to do is rearrange the wheel bay in the boot, chuck out the foam can and the plastic tray for the useless emergency kit, and fit the new spare wheel in it's place.
                          I'll be driving happier from today!!:hapydancsmil::cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Like Like x 2
                          • Agree Agree x 2
                          • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                            Ratings:
                            +44,534
                            Yesterday one of our dogs Barley got a upset tummy with the runs. Now we're up at 2.30 am and hubby had to take him out to do some more. Just waiting for him to settle down before going back to bed. It's 3.25 am and he's settling down now so hopefully we can go to bed, have to get up at 4.45 am as usual.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                            • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                              Ratings:
                              +44,534
                              A few days ago hubby was getting warning light on his car saying emissions warning so he booked it in with Volvo because it's a volvo for wednesday. But this morning it was getting worse and it was the battery. He was going to go to the halfords repair service today but he went to Morrisons first to get the shopping. He got what we needed but when he got back to the car he noticed that he left the side lights on and run the battery right down. He phoned one of our neighbours to help but i had to go round to the other neighbours to see if they had any jump leads.No,3 and No.11 had some each so i took them to the other neighbour who was going to help. Then they'll both go to halfords and get another battery.

• Like Like x 3
                              • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                                Ratings:
                                +118,388
                                For the last ten days I've been liaising and helping my sister and hubby get home from their holiday. They were on a cruise around S. America with friends to celebrate 80th birthdays.

24 hours before they were due to fly home the destination country closed its ports! Nobody on board has been ill. As they approached other nearby countries they all closed their borders so the ship eventually turned towards their home port (Miami). This entailed getting from the other side of the continent, through the Panama Canal (transit normally needs to be booked a long time in advance) and across the Caribbean to Miami.

They arrived in Miami yesterday - eight days after they were due to fly home from Lima in Peru. Homeland Security had issued an exemption certificate for foreign travellers on the ship to exit the country through the U.S. but they all had to get ESTAs (equivalent of Visas) first.

The next problem was to find flights home with virtually nothing available. Eventually a repatriation flight with Virgin was organised, due to depart yesterday. Before leaving the ship that flight was cancelled but different flights were organised with Delta.

The next problem was arranging transport from ship to airport but eventually a taxi was found. They land at Heathrow at 9 a.m. today. They now have to get home from there. Their travel agent could sort out a taxi with no problem but they didn't want to be enclosed in a vehicle with someone who might have been in contact with any number of infected people.

So we have worked out a solution. Liaising with their daughter and son in law I've been to their house (I'm a keyholder), found their car keys and the daughter will drive their car to LHR with the s-i-l following in their own car. They'll meet them in the car park at the airport, keep their distance just in case they may have picked anything up on the flights, and sister and hubby can drive themselves home - followed by daughter just in case. Nobody's health should be compromised but all four will self-isolate for seven days (the recommended time) so food has been bought to allow them to do so.

We'll see how it goes. :noidea:

Hopefully the roads won't be too busy as they're driving home after a very long, and worrying, journey. :fingers crossed:

I'm doing all the coordinating. :phew:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                                Thread Status:
                                Not open for further replies.