1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Your Day (apart from gardening) - what took place?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by GCHQ, Nov 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    I confess that did kind of "disturb" me when that happened so casually and easily:hate-shocked::heehee: When I bought the previous car, from the same Dealer, I had to go to the Bank to get a Banker's Order as I don't use cheques so there was that few hours delay........but now:doh::hate-shocked::snorky:

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,795
    Just been looking at the blue sky and feeling the warmth of the sun on my back and counting my blessings:smile:

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
      Ratings:
      +7,623
      Yes he will :snorky: - I'm test driving the car - only when I'm happy will I authorise the payment.

Without payment - there is no contract - the car is not mine.

There is no risk - the car is taxed by the owner - not me :blue thumb:.

Anyway, I suspect that I will in any case tax and insure the car before I drive it.

I'm already off the soap box - I'm not getting back on :heehee:.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,836
      I can't think of any Dealer that even think of letting you do that! Firstly, as you said the, car is not yours so you couldn't tax it in your name as you're not the listed owner without proof of ownership, secondly most/all test drives are accompanied by an employee of the Dealers.

• Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
      Ratings:
      +4,411
      I read somewhere that getting rid of tax discs has saved £25M but the evasion since has increased by £100M.

• Like Like x 1
      • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,414
        It' been a few years now (5ish) but I have never been accopanied on test drives. When I was looking for cars to use as a taxi, my wife and I went out and both had a go. I think we tested 4 cars in total. I suggested we could make it a hobby. We could test drive a different car each week.

We looked at a car from a main dealership who interviewed us before we even looked at a car. He also hung around while we studied the car we had gone to see. He asked us if we wanted a test drive. It might have been nice but I just wanted to get out of there. To make matters worse, the next day the store manager phoned to ask why we hadn't taken it further. A bit much or what.

G.

• Like Like x 1
        • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
          Ratings:
          +4,411
          It amazes me the attitude of some main dealer salesmen. Most are fine but occasionally you get one who really annoys you. We all obviously want the best deal possible when trading in a car for a new one. In one main dealer's the salesman was so aggressively trying to beat me down on what I though a fair PX value, I told him I wasn't speaking to him any more and to and find me another salesman. He panicked a bit and tried to tell me I couldn't speak to anyone else, so I just got up walked over to reception and asked the girl to find me a different salesman. She sussed out the situation straight away and found me someone else. He wasn't there on my two further visits as I negotiated better deals on my PX. The "I'll go away and think about it," tack works wonders.

I've noticed that on the last two occasions when I finally got a price for my trade-in, when I saw the actual invoice, they'd down-priced the value of my car and reduced the price of the new one by that much.

You only get a decent dale on a new car if you've no trade in.

The other thing is finance. When you've done the deal sometimes they try to get you to speak to their finance director. I always say; "Unless you're offering me interest free, I don't want to know."
          That shuts them up.

Some dealers of second-hand cars have a fixed price and won't budge even if you have no PX. Our son was buying a year old Hyundi Sportage last year and I went with him to buy it at a huge outfit near Knutsford. They wouldn't budge on the price.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          I have a huge car sales site within 2 miles of my house and they don't have salesmen harassing you or following you. You need a flask and sandwiches when you go there as they have over 2000 cars on site all neatly in ranks by make and type and nobody bothers you whatsoever. If you want to look properly at a particular car you can book the keys out for 3 days!!, but you can't start the car unsupervised. Nowadays they will offer the Wholesale Book Price and that is it.......no changes, no bargaining. Any Dealer that offers you deals is just using smoke and mirrors to con you. So this particular Dealer will offer just Book price and nothing else but their selling prices are also fair and fairly low to compensate.:coffee::snorky:

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          Fords of Winsford (not a Ford dealer ) , Motor point , etc are the big car Supermarkets . The price you see is the price you pay.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,333
            My situation in buying cars is slightly different as I only buy new cars. Before internet I used to phone loads of main dealers and bargain with them - playing one off against the other. Nowadays I let these internet car sales companies do it for me. The, old, car I'm driving at the moment was bought from a dealer in Harrogate (I'm in the SE) and they drove it down to me after getting 3k more discount than from any other dealer.

I have a car on order at the moment. The best deal was from a dealer in Poole but I then managed to get my nearest main dealer to match the price. I then went into their place and sat and worked out all the nitty gritty - including the bad choice of available colour! After I'd agreed the deal I said that before I sign I want to know what price they would give me for my old car. :heehee: He looked rather shocked and said "you didn't mention anything about part exchange"! My answer was that's because I'm not part exchanging it - I'm selling it to you and want a good deal. We ended up agreeing a price that was £500 more than the top book price (it's in good condition apart from never having been washed in ten years :snorky:).

When salesmen know you want to PX they quite often give a reasonable price for the old one but not as good a price as they could give for the one you're buying. :noidea: :th scifD36:

I've paid my deposit of £500 (they take credit cards for that but not for the full price). When it comes to paying the final price - only when I see the car - I certainly won't use a debit card but shall do a simple bank transfer over the phone.

Since having ordered my car (it's not on the production line yet - for technical reasons) the price has gone up and they've added a few things 'as standard' to the ones yet to come off the production line. It wasn't too hard to argue that our deal is for the price agreed and it isn't my fault if you can't deliver exactly what I ordered and in a timely fashion. The sales manager agreed to cover the price rise (just over £1,000 :rolleyespink:) as he didn't want to lose a customer (the small print says that if the price goes up they can charge me the extra or I can cancel).

• Like Like x 1
              Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
            • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              @clanless that's another rule come in...as you used to be able to purchase a motor but before you could take it...go and purchase the tax first. :dunno:

• Like Like x 2
              • Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
                +5,414
                I've spent the evening applying for local garden centre loyalty cards. In theory, the free coffee alone is worth the joining fees. I'll have to keep a careful check on what I had where. If I continue to buy plants from discount shops and in end of line sales, I probably won't benefit from joining the loyalty schemes. What I will get is a ****load of emails.

:snorky:

G.

• Like Like x 2
                • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  @Jack Sparrow what's wrong with doing your own flask mate :whistle:

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                    Ratings:
                    +118,333
                    And a caffeine high! :hate-shocked:

• Funny Funny x 1
                    • Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
                      +5,414