Your Day (apart from gardening) - what took place?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by GCHQ, Nov 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +49,906
    Personally, I don't believe in one meal a day and eat little and often. Suits me and has got me to the ripe old age of 74 ... only problem was I had to gain weight. :whistle:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
      Ratings:
      +54,365
      Why should you ' never' fridge store bananas @Logan ? Just because we're told not to? They're absolutely fine in the fridge and most extraordinary is that even if their skins turn black the peeled fruit is still perfect inside. They can even be sliced and frozen in portions.

What ' they' say is not to store unripe bananas in the fridge ( imo still fine) as it slows down the ripening process, but once ripe keeping them in the fridge extends their shelf life by 2 weeks. :biggrin: :dbgrtmb:

It's like 'them' telling us the same about eggs, tomatoes etc......pffff ....they all keep
      fine in the fridge. They probably want us to eat them quickly and buy more!:heehee:

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +49,906
        Exactamento! :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 3
        • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
          Ratings:
          +43,795
          It can ruin the texture and reduce vitamin c.
          Anyway I haven't got room in the fridge for them.

• Balc

Balc Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +9,670
          I've not been on the forum for a few days as they have been rather hectic.

On Thursday my wife's blood sugar levels went sky high & we had to call 111. A doctor called back at 3.30am! Fortunately by then they had come down a bit & it wasn't so worrying any more.

On Saturday we had our 3 grandkids for the day, like most Saturdays only this time they came a couple of hours earlier! Then our daughter & her husband came to pick them up around 8pm & stayed for a couple of hours.

I don't remember anything special on Sunday.

On Monday my wife had an appointment for her shingles vaccination. We went to our health centre but when the nurse was about to give her it she had to go through a sheet of questions beforehand. She asked my wife if she was unwell to which she replied she had had problems lately with her blood sugar levels.

It turned out that the nurse was the diabetics nurse! She was new to us, so we didn't know! So the nurse told my wife she would have to have a blood test done. Well my wife has a phobia of blood tests, not so much the extraction of blood as the place - she can't stand it in the crook of the elbow!

She has been diabetic for about 12 years & the doctors had never managed to get blood tests done in all that time! Well, until about 2 years ago when a doctor, who was very sympathetic to her, persuaded her to have a test done but my wife only consented if he could extract blood from the back of her hand. He did so without causing her any pain!

She also has a bit of a phobia waiting for the results - she thinks the doctors will find she has an incurable disease & can get very agitated! This doctor phoned her the very next day with very good results! She was very relieved!

The next time she had to go for analysis the same doctor took her bloods & again phoned the very moment the results came back from the lab. Again very good. So then he told her she wouldn't need another blood test till Feb '23 - this of course made her very happy!

You can imagine then when the nurse told her she would need to see her blood test results but that she would phone her on Friday to talk about them with her. She agreed but got very upset. We went to reception where she explained a little & she was told a note would be sent to her doctor & then he would either call her or would sent her a text message. Well he called her - at 8pm! He explained that he wouldn't be at the clinic on Tuesday otherwise he himself would do her bloods. But he did promise her he would call her just as soon as the results came back, which calmed her down.

A nurse did the extraction in the back of her hand but she had to take the blood from 2 different places. My wife put on a very face & nobody would have imagined the nurse was hurting her at all! I was standing by her side but even I didn't notice! She told me afterwards that the nurse had caused her a lot of pain.

Now that's over she has to wait for the results but as the doctor had promised her he would phone her as soon as the results came back she is less worried than she might be if she had to wait until Friday!

If there is nothing amiss the nurse will call her to discuss the results on Friday & if there is no major concern will arrange with her to have the shingles jab.

• Informative Informative x 2
          • Friendly Friendly x 2
            Last edited: May 17, 2022
          • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
            Ratings:
            +43,795
            @Balc I hope that your wife will feel better soon with the blood test, it can be very distressing with needles and where they have to be put in and everything else.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +54,365
              Oh dear @Balc that sounded like very upsetting events for all conerned..it's equally hard for onlookers witnessing a loved one getting so distressed.
              At least it's all done now and I wish her well will the results.:)

Blood tests aren't a favourite with most people, my veins seem difficult to locate and I always come away looking like a pin cushion !!
              Still, needs must.:biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Balc

Balc Total Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +9,670
                Thank you for your lovely comments @Logan & @Upsydaisy! :) The doctor was as good as his word & called my wife to tell her the bloods had been fine & she had nothing to worry about. :) He said she is in excellent heath!

One result however was still not available, the blood sugar levels over the past several months. But as soon as it arrives he will call her again!

It's great for people like my wife when a doctor treats them like a real person & not just someone to give some pills to & send them on their way without listening to them properly!

The nurse who did her bloods was charming but it seemed she couldn't praise this particular doctor enough! :D

Today we had to go to the hospital, to the eye clinic. My wife was due her revision for glaucoma. Something that worries her a great deal almost all the time. She was told that all the tests they normally do on her have come back as no change, which is good & bad at the same time! Good because it means nothing has got worse since she first started these tests about 5 years ago. Bad because she isn't improving!

The pressure in her eyes has got worse since her last visit 3 or 4 months ago. They have told her they can't prescribe any other medication that is better than she is already on. They don't have any other eye drops to give her & that she is on the best possible drops. But the doctor did tell her she will need an operation to reduce the liquid in her eyes & so reduce the pressure. He told her if she didn't do it she was at risk of some serious complications to her sight!

This afternoon she got an email to tell her that they have made an appointment for her in a hospital in another city, fortunately it's just a 20 min train ride to get there. She also got a phone call from the eye clinic where the op will be done saying the consultancy would be about what they will do & the possible risks, etc. & she could ask whatever questions she liked about the op. They will see her for an examination in the middle of June & at that time decide on a date for the op.

• Like Like x 3
                • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +54,365
                  Gosh your poor wife has a lot going on to cope with @Balc !!! You sound very kind and understanding to how she feels and undoubtedly very supportive too . Having any sort test or medical procedure raises the stress levels.
                  Glad to hear that her bloods are looking normal and fingers crossed on the blood sugars ..:fingers crossed:

• Like Like x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
                    Ratings:
                    +43,795
                    @Balc good that everything was fine with the blood tests and fingers crossed for the blood sugar.
                    Sounds as if you have good people looking after your wife. Sorry about the glaucoma it's very worrying for her but at least she's not getting worse and hope that she has the operation as soon as possible and that it's not too far away for you both to travel.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                      Ratings:
                      +7,618
                      Looks like Scott is getting his coat.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +84,362
                      Why, is he going outside for a pee?
                      That's why Oates never came back, he forgot his coat.

• Funny Funny x 4
                      • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
                        Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
                        Ratings:
                        +6,776
                        Today my wife and I went out for lunch, the first time we have been out since the start of the pandemic. It was a family get together in memory of her mum who died a year ago. Her two daughters and their dad went with us. It was a lovely meal (a Marston's pub) and there was some good chat.
                        I didn't think I would ever have the confidence to go out to a pub or restaurant again but now I have. I didn't realise how much I missed eating out.

• Friendly Friendly x 7
                        • Like Like x 3
                        • Balc

Balc Total Gardener

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +9,670
                          My wife got her blood sugar results & as expected they weren't too good. She had the test done last Tuesday but on the Monday the nurse told her she would call her o Friday, but she didn't! This of cause made her feel frustrated as she spent the entire day waiting for the call.She even called the clinic about 5pm & she was assured she was on the list & the nurse would call her soon - well, a weekend has passed & she is still waiting!

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                          • Informative Informative x 2
                          • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +54,365
                            Oh dear @Balc , so sorry to here this.:sad:

Thread Status:
                          Not open for further replies.