Your spuds

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Freddy, Aug 2, 2008.

1. David_Schmavid

David_Schmavid Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    also, one seed potato in a 10 litre pot?
    oh balls, i have planted 3 minumum per grow bag.

2. The Nut

The Nut Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    TSK these novice gardeners :)

3. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi folks. Thanks for all the replies. Methinks i`ll try those Duke of York next year, they DO seem rather popular and I would like a better yield. My `Arrans` didn`t last long, bearing in mind that I grew mine in a raised bed measuring 8` x 4`, so I don`t have much room to spare. Hi David Schmavid. If you wanted new potatoes, you might have already missed the boat. The trick is to start harvesting when they are still quite small, that way you get a more continuous crop. However, if you`re growing them as a maincrop spud, then wait until the foliage dies down and dig `em up. Cheers...freddy.

4. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Take no notice of her David, she's got one on her today, heh,heh.

If you planted three, then they will be fighting for food and space, but it probably won't affect the total weight of your yield though...just smaller spuds yea.:thumb:

5. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi again folks. I've been digging up some Pink Fir Apple's. Funny thing, Arran Pilot's are described in 'the book' as heavy croppers whereas PFA's are described as 'disappointing'. Well, seems the other way round to me. Here`s a pic of the spuds I got from one root.[​IMG] There are roughly 7LB's of spuds there, way more than I got from the AP's. I reckon it's a very reasonable yield from one root, or am I aiming too low ? Cheers...freddy.

6. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Oops, sorry about the size of the pic !

7. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
  8. Fretters

Fretters Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbThat's the biggest pile of potatoes I've ever seen ! Obviously I'm doing something very wrong, tonight I got about 5 potatoes from one plant ! Any hints you'd like to share ?:)

9. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,594
    My dad and I both had a bit of a failure this year, for the first time ever. Both of us, quite independently of each other, in separate ground using separate seedies had the most bizarre result. Only about 20% of the spuds we planted actually grew at all, yet those that did, produced excellent results. The only thing in common is that in both plots, we planted a couple of rows ourselves, then my mate Paul helped us plant the rest over that same week. The ones that Paul put in all failed.

So that moral of my story is this: Don't get my mate Paul to help you plant anything:)

10. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,618
    clueless1: Did Paul put them in upside down; common mistake with spuds ;)

11. Prastio

Prastio Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Freddy
    Very impressive picture of your PFA crop - I must try them next year. Is the taste as good as is claimed?

12. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi Prastio. To me, the flavour is very good. What one is SUPPOSED to do (I believe) is to wait until the foliage dies down and then dig them up, boil them in their skins, and then peel off the skin. Well, I couldn't wait for that, and have been eating them in their skins. They really DO taste like new potatoes even though the skins have pretty much ripened. The problem with peeling them once they're cooked is that they're a bit tricky to handle. I'll certainly be growing them again next year. Cheers....freddy.

13. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi Fretters. No secrets, just planted them and that's it. I DO reckon that raised beds help though. This is my first year back (gardening) after some 20 years. Because space is relatively limited, and having read that raised beds can produce more per sq yd, I decided that it was the way to go, even though it requires a little more effort at the start. Sorry I can't impart any great words of wisdom :) Cheers...freddy