1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Zero experience and have a really basic question about soil

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Nicola123, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Nicola123

Nicola123 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Picky little blighters aren’t they!!! Lol
    As it happens tulips aren’t on my list phew!!

2. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,944
    Borage is a brilliant flower for insects and bees etc. And it self seeds really easily and is pretty. Apparently it regenerates its nectar really quickly ready for the next bee to come along. Other flowers take hours to regenerate the nectar.

• Like Like x 1
    • Nicola123

Ratings:
      +9
      I’ve not heard of that so I’m very grateful - I’ve definitely not got any borage so far so I’ll look at getting some now - thank you

• Peas

Peas Apprentice Gardener

Mature student
      Ratings:
      +22
      I'm most definitely not the person to take advice from as I'm a compete newbie, and I'm also a cheapskate and would be running for the hills at being quoted £500. However I'm happy to tell you what I would do if it helps at all. I'd do it myself. I'd get the spade and scoot the grass up (or no dig method if you had the inclination). I'd put some nice top soil on it, compost, manure, get it really nice and nutrient dense and then start your plan. You could always just dig the holes you want, make your beds and keep the grass as the walk ways in between, then add some wild flower meadow type seeds to it.
      Whatever you do, I think it's a great idea and applaud you.

• Nicola123

Ratings:
      +9

• Nicola123

Ratings:
      +9
      Thanks so much. I’ve planted up now so I’ll post a photo soon. This forum has been so helpful and supportive. Xx

• Like Like x 1