1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

2-3 m Screening with planters for on top of a stone wall?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ateepstera, Feb 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ateepstera

ateepstera Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there

Does anyone have any recommendations for a problem we are facing regarding trying to screen our property?

We live on a steep hill, bordered on one side by an old 2.5 m high 20 m long stone wall which acts as a terrace for the land up the hill. The area is relatively sheltered from wind etc.

I need to create a screen along this wall which will effectively reach another 2-3 metres above the height of the wall and unfortunately I need it fast (this year) and for the entire length of the wall. :S

Initially we thought of planting pleached trees at the bottom of the wall but the time frame and cost was not doable from my initial investigations.

So I'm trying to investigate the idea of installing planters on top of the wall with some sort of plant/tree/shrub that will form an effective screen that isn't £££.

I've also seen some places selling living ivy screens in planters, but again whether this is the most effective and economical solution I'm not sure.

So what I'm struggling with is
    -is this way of screening to the height we need even possible?
    -if so what sort of plants should I be looking at?
    -is this a major ££££ undertaking?

Thanks in advance!

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,341
    @ateepstera
    Greetings. A couple of photos would be useful to give an idea as to the wall structure and width.
    Planters to take the size of plant you are talking about would be pretty heavy, so would the wall be strong enough and could they be fastened securely.
    Have you considered a wooden fence on top of the wall, this could be secured to posts fastened into the ground and secured to the wall, that could be done this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,206
      Hi,

Yes , a photo would help and also knowing what you are trying to do, eg wind protection or privacy , summer or all year round?

Also from what you say the land above your terrace wall is yours so you can take that higher point as your property, meaning thats the reference point for any fence you put up, which will be the quickest and cheapest screening method.

What time period are you taking about, this year , next or the one after.

You could put many climbing plants below the wall and a trellis above the wall for them to climb up, so many plants to choose from, eg Clematis, climbing Rose, Honeysuckle etc etc.
      These would partially cover this year ,but being deciduous you would need to add some evergreens which are a bit slower growing.

If you want something more radical, then even Leylandii is fast- ish growing, and if trimmed properly can look good and kept in check.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,612
      Welcome ateepstera. :)

As Nigel and Ricky have suggested, a trellis mounted on posts to grow climbers on would work.

trellis.jpg

• Like Like x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • ateepstera

Ratings:
        +0
        Thank you so much all for your thoughts. So after considering the points about the precarious nature of chucking a hedge up atop the wall and apologies I should have mentioned that we were trying to avoid a wooden fence (complicated reasons not just me being picky - although the trellis image does look very subtle, thank you for that!) we have an alternative idea - do you amazingly helpful people have any thoughts on this?

NEW PLAN:

We are thinking of planting a row of established 6m Hornbeams in front of the wall to provide the screening.

Looking at:
        6-10 x 6m high Hornbeam to reach the top of the wall then provide enough screening to be effective (it is a really steep hill)

We are trying to figure out whether pleached would work but looks £££, high maintenance and can't find 6m high so probably just fastigata(?)

My main concern is that they are deciduous: although they hang on to their leaves when juvenile, I've read that when they get to maturity as trees they have a tendency to drop which would obviously compromise the screening (unlike all the local Hornbeam hedges I've seen in the last week or so)

Also worried that even a 6m tree might take a couple of years to get established enough to form a screen?

Not too worried about the (1m thick, v sturdy) wall as apparently the roots for hornbeams are OK for that.

I spoke to a garden centre salesperson who said that we should consider Ligustrum Japonica/um as an alternative as they are evergreen. Does anyone agree/disagree?

So many thanks in advance for your thoughts - I'm such a newbie and this is a decision that I am prepared to spend a fair chunk on so really want to get it right!

Thank you!

• ateepstera

Ratings:
        +0
        Darn sorry I should have mentioned that the 6-10 tree solution would just be for a 12 metre stretch of the wall most overlooked, so quite closely spaced

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,341
        @ateepstera Have you considered Yew as this is evergreen.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,206
          Assume you have the prices of such big pot grown trees , seem a full 6m Hornbeam is around £600+

Unless fully grown , the general rule of trees is that younger plants establish better and quicker.

As we cannot see your garden view and what side of the country you are in its difficult to give any real direction as to which plants would be best.

My thoughts would be to employ the services of a landscape designer located in your area who knows which trees/plants will last though out the year.
          Perhaps not cheap but by comparison to the value of the stock, a small price to pay....