1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

a barren wasteland!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by suey, Mar 16, 2005.

1. suey

suey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello all,
    im after some advice/tips on what to do with my barren wasteland of a back garden. It has been very uncared for over the last couple of years, the blackberry being the only thing to get any attention!
    Its 50 ft x 25 ft, with an old flagstone path down the middle. the left of the path has grass - but its patchy in places and uneven, not too many weeds. to the right is an uneven dug over area which is full of weeds - we started with the best of intentions several years ago, but work, prolapsed discs and pregnancy got in the way! WE successfully grew some veggies, so im going to have another more serious attempt at that. As for the grassy area (about 28ftx25ft)We have some ideas, but dont know what to do about the lumps?

any advice welcome [​IMG]

sue [​IMG]

2. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    The first thing to do is make a wish list. What you would like, what you must have, what you want to use it for and how much time/effort you are able to spend on it and of course how much money you've got to play with (crude but true) Do you enjoy cutting a lawn?(I don't so I dug it up. The front is more moss than grass so doesn't need much cutting.)
    I'll spend a whole day or weekend every now and then on a big tidy up and the rest of the time sit back and think how pretty it is. I don't even need to go outside if it's really cold I got my partner to put in French doors so I can look at it from inside.
    I think with the lumps you're supposed to cut a cross on the top of the lump, put the spade horizontal and slice under the grass, peel back the turf, loosen and remove some soil from the lump, level it off and put the grass back down and water well but if your garden is like mine you'll find half a breeze block dig it out and end up with a hole instead of a lump.

3. david

david Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ever thought about a wild garden ?
    there is nothing more stunning than wild flowers in bloom. Just mow some paths through.
    Not only do you have flowers but tons of wild life. Got to be better than some antiseptic gardens that ive seen.
    Plenty of advice on the web.

4. suey

suey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah yes, thanks for that!
    yes, i do worry there may be something other than just soil under the lumps!! (knowing this estate, its likely to be a body :eek: !!!)
    Shall let you know how i get on!
    sue :D

5. suey

suey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    yes, a lovely idea, but i have 4 year old twin boys who love playing football, so i fear any flowers will end up squashed!
    would be nice though!
    sue [​IMG]