1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A GAPPY PROBLEM

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by wildman, Mar 7, 2005.

1. wildman

wildman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    HI EVERYBODY
    I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A HEDGE.I HAD A MAD DAY RECENTLY CLEARING AN AREA OF MY GARDEN THAT CONTAINS A BOUNDARY HEDGE .AFTER CLEARING THE AREA I FOUND THAT GAPS HAD APPEARED IN THE HEDGE AND I COULD SEE DIRECTLY INTO MY NEIGHBOURS KITCHEN FROM MY KITCHEN AND I NEED TO FILL THE HOLE FAST.THE HEDGE IS AN OLD ONE FULL OF HOLLY, ELDER AND PRIVET ALL ABOUT 15FT TALL ,HAS ANYONE ANY IDEAS AS TO WHAT TO PUT IN TO FILL THE GAPS THAT WILL GROW FAST
    MANY THANKS
    MARK

2. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
  3. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    How about some climbers like honeysuckle or clematis or a nice rambling rose~? Alternatively if you just leave it to itself it will most likely fill in its own gaps over the next season. Have to ask. how mad did you go with the clearing?

4. wildman

Ratings:
    +0
    DEAR MRS CLOUDY
    I WENT TOTALLY WILD ,THE RED MIST DESCENDED AND BEFORE I KNEW IT I HAD MORE GAPS THAN HEDGE ,THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION I MAY GIVE IT A GO.

5. Mrs cloudy

Mrs cloudy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sound like you are well named wildman. :mad: . If the hedge is really anoying you why not take it out completely and start from scratch with something new. Put up a fence for privacy. Try to stay calm whatever you do :cool:
    Cloudy

6. turl

turl Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    :rolleyes: Im sorry but i have to disagree on that comment of start again with fencing :(
    i would have a serious think on this before you make up your mind as your not only moving a hedge your moving:
    1. 1000's of species of insects.
    2. Mamals shelters, homes and food.
    3. Birds nesting.
    4. bases of hedge for wildflowers.
    5. barrier for slowing winds.
    6. change of season colour.
    fencing to me is costly and needs repairs and also treatments and dosnt at all look good but hey thats my opinion.
    cheers john

7. turl

turl Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    F.A.O Wildman
    just came across this if its anyhelp

CONCERNED ABOUT HEDGES?
    The RSPB produces a free leaflet called 'farm hedges and there management'
    Which explains more about hedgerow regulations and restoration. You can get these copys from:
    Wildlife Enquiry Unit, RSPB, the lodge,Sandy,Bedfordshire SG19 2DL.
    And hedgerow info from:
    The British Trust for Conservation Volenteers (BTCV). Write with 2 x 1st class stamps to BTCV,36 St Marys street, Wallingford, Oxfordshire OX10 OEU.
    hope this is of help john

8. wildman

Ratings:
    +0
    HI EVERYBODY
    THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT COMMENTS REGARDING MY QUESTION.I TAKE EVERYTHING ON BOARD AND OF COURSE WANT TO DO THE BEST THAT I CAN .THE ORIGINAL HEDGE THAT WAS THE PROBLEM HAS BECOME VERY LEGGY AND WAS VERY TOP HEAVY CAUSING GAPS TO APPEAR .I WONT TAKE IT OUT BUT WILL FILL THE GAPS WITH THE BIGGEST PRIVET PLANTS I CAN FIND .REGARDING THE NATURE SIDE OF THINGS, I VERY MUCH AGREE IN TRYING TO PRESERVE HABITAT FOR ALL CREATURES
    MANY THANKS
    MARK