1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

A suitable tribute tree to a Holocaust Survivor ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by **Yvonne**, Mar 24, 2014.

1. **Yvonne**

**Yvonne** Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,347
    Well folks, I need your advice again. My sister works at a major hospital in London, managing a large team of volunteers. Amongst the team are a number of holocaust survivors who spend their final years looking after others.

One of them died today. My sister is devastated so I suggested marking his passing with a tree and a plaque with his back story in the hospital grounds.

Can anyone suggest a suitable bush/tree which has special hebrew meaning? I'm anxious to get this right so all help gratefully received.

• Like Like x 2
    • TechSupport_1

TechSupport_1 Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      well the olive tree has a special Hebrew meaning

it's their national tree, of course unsure if they grow well in all climates

• Like Like x 1
      • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +89,884
        Good evening Yvonne I have a Book which I read:) "

I Will Plant You a Lilac Tree: A Memoir of a Schindler's List Survivor by
        Laura Hillman

Just thought it might be appropiate:smile:

• Like Like x 3
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,610
          I've had a scan of the internet Yvonne and Almond trees seem to have connections with the Hebrew religion. :)

• **Yvonne**

**Yvonne** Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,347
          some lovely suggestions, thank you. My sister is going to find a suitable site (pending Trust approval) so keep the suggestions going and I'll update you on the location.

• Like Like x 2
          • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
            Ratings:
            +3,035
            Magnolia soulangeana, doesn't grow to a massive size but throws out magnificent candle-like flowers in early spring. Shouts - 'Wake up and take notice', and folk do.

A cedar tree may be another option as cedars grow in the holy land, though much depends on the available space.