1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Acer question

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Axie-Ali, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have a young and still tiny acer (only 4 branches) early in the year the growing tip was snapped off (accidently), it survived through the summer but did not get any bigger. It has now lost it's leaves for winter, will it start to grow again next year? also, will this healp min it spreading out more (as taking off growing tips does in some plants) or will it for ever more remain small?

2. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Axie-Ali,

The tip of the tree is called the apical meristem, a bundle of chemicals and hormones that supress growth of lateral buds & branhces while keeping the tree growing upwards to attain height. Removing this apical meristem allows the lateral branches to grow so you should expect a more wider and spreading tree than before. You may get a lateral bud near the tip taking over as the main dominant leader and heading skywards, but your tree may never attain it's original intended height. Hope this helps.

Matthew

3. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    Stake the largest branch to train it as a new leader, and your tree will grow perfectly well. It may require you to retain the stake for maybe two years to help it strengthen
    I have done this with many trees and with great success

4. Axie-Ali

Axie-Ali Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  5. cybersioux2001

cybersioux2001 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello.My acer is also small.It has lost all its leaves and i was hoping for a glorious array of red leaves this Autumn.Do some acers drop leaves early or have i done something wrong.It is in a pot in a good position and out of the wind(as i know they are susceptible to strong winds) Thanks.

6. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Morning,

Red-leafed Acer growing in a pot and not in full sun. During the summer it had brown (dead) tips to the leaves. Any suggestions please.

thanks

7. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    Cyber
    Nothing to worry about. If you look closely you will see the little buds forming for next season's growth. Some trees lose their leaves earlier than others. I have some which coloured up a month ago and others just starting, some with no leaves at all and others with a full set
    In a pot I might be inclined to give your plant a weak fertiliser next April
    Has bean ....the leaves may have dried a little because of lack of water or a warm wind which dried them quicker than the roots could supply moisture. These plants need a constant moisture supply but not excessive moisture
    If it is a new plant it probably needs a little time to settle in. Again ... nothing to worrry about

8. cybersioux2001

cybersioux2001 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello Whis4ey.Thank you for your help,advice & reassurance.