1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

acorns

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by pete, Oct 9, 2005.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    Has anyone else noticed the amout of acorns there are about this year, I've not seen so many for years.
    Then today I came across these extra large ones, the tree looked like the ordinary english oak but all the acorns were bigger.
    I've added two ordinary sized acorns for comparison.
    [​IMG]

2. brazil

brazil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i was on about that today we think it is because it has been so dry the past couple of years they are producing more to keep the gene pool going and did you notice horse chestnut lost their leaves really early it is weird what the weather makes plants do i would like to have a real freezing winter to see how it would affect spring flowering plants the winters now are so mild ihave seen monster acorns before i will enquire as to why and how but it is more and likely a species thing :D :D

3. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    hi, Pete. I have a few oak's here, I'll have a look tomorrow to see if there are any large acorns. I feel sure things are changing today was just as warm as in the hight of summer albeit a bit shorter but no autumn feel to it.

4. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    Its been warm here today as well hans.
    Brazil, most of the conkers around here have still got leaves, but they have coloured up in large patches on the trees, we've not had much wind to blow them off. The maples are colouring up well this year aswell.

5. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I think you'll find that this is a different sort of oak from the common English variety that I love - but what kind I don't know, but I have seen those fat acorns before. I didn't realise the quercus range was so big until I went to the Florida and saw the shape of the "live" oaks there used in shipbuilding in years gone by - very different in shape of tree and the leaves are longer. Got one growing on my patio [​IMG]

6. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    Yes fran I know there are probably hundreds fo different types of quercus, but this looked very much like our common robur. I'm no expert at identification, but I do know the more commonly grown ones over here and I've walked passed this one for years. I would say its probably a couple of hundred yrs old.
    Should add I've not been walking passed it that long. :D