Adding guttering to Shed

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Kevin Cowans, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Kevin Cowans

Kevin Cowans Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,048
    Hello all

I hope your are well.

I have a shed in the corner of the back garden which is next to a border:

20201205_100535.jpg

Unfortunately, when it rains, the water runs off the roof straight on to the border causing issues for the plants and also the soil.

I am looking at adding guttering to this side and divert the water to the back of the shed, however, there are a couple of issues.

Firstly, I have no idea how to do it, and secondly, there is not enough space around the back of the shed to get to it or anywhere to place a Water Butt.

So, the first issue, who would I look at getting to do this work?

And the second, would it work if I just got guttering run along the left side with a downpipe at the end and then run the pipe around the corner and along the back of the shed?

Maybe have gravel put down along the back of the shed to act as drainage?

I just need to keep the runoff off the border.

No idea what I need to do, hence the Post :)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Kevin

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,996
    Assuming you've got sufficient space between the shed and the boundary, decide where you want a water butt or soakaway (if you have neither you will have another problem concentrated in a single location) and the rest is an easy DIY job.

Once you've decided on the downpipe location, post that plus the dimensions of your shed, then the materials can scheduled and guidance given on installation.

3. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Hi Kevin,

Fitting guttering is not that difficult. There are special brackets that the guttering clips into and these are fixed with 2 screws. Just need to remember to put a slight fall towards the back of the shed. Normally you would run guttering across the back and then link the at the corner with the down pipe. I’m not aware of anything where you could run a pipe across the back and link the guttering from the right side. If you have room for 2 WB then you could run a gutter down both sides and run them both into separate WB. The guttering, clips etc are available from Wickes or any builders merchants. I am sure that someone there would be able to give you some good advice too.

4. Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
    +1,048
    Hello

Thanks for the replies.

DIY is not my thing, I prefer GSTDI (Get Someone To Do It).

Give me Technology any day :)

Unfortunately, there is not enough room behind the shed for a water butt, the space is less than 12".

I do not know if I could fit a small water butt in the corner as shown in this photo:

20201205_110006.jpg

The area in the corner is approximately 15" x 15".

The shed is 6' x 6'.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  5. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,996
    A butt would be along a side, only the guttering would need to run behind the shed.

I forgot to mention above that if there's windows in a side it can affect things because the gutter will get lower as it gets further towards the downpipe, and if the last part of a run is over a window it could prevent it from being opened, unless of course it's just a fixed pane

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  6. Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
    +1,048
    Hello @Scrungee

Thanks for the reply.

There is no window so that will not be an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

7. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi,

You want to use the Mini Guttering made for small garages and sheds etc.
    Miniline Guttering | Shed Gutters | Wickes.co.uk

There are plenty of pages showing how to fit guttering - just a screwdriver and saw needed.
    How to Fit Guttering | Wickes.co.uk

We would just use a down pipe on each side and let the water drain on to the soil - its not as if its a massive roof area, perhaps put small flag or piece of slate for the outlet to run onto so it disperses the water more evenly onto the soil or have the downpipe on the front of the shed so the water drains onto the main flags away from the border soil ?

Not sure we would be happy about what looks like an electricity cable running across the border ?
    Looks like armoured cable, so its better to have it deep in the soil or running along the fence.
    Seems too easy to forget its there and damage it with a spade ?!

• Like Like x 1
    • Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
      +1,048
      Hello @ricky101

Thanks for the reply and the information.

What you refer to as an armoured cable is the main supply hose for the Drip Irrigation, so not an issue.

Thanks

Kevin

• rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,946
      Hi Kevin,

If you have a local FB page you could ask if there are any DIY handymen in the local area that could fit it for you. We get quite a lot of similar posts/requests on our local one and there is normally someone local that can do the jobs.
      Rusty

• Like Like x 1
      • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +13,960
        We don't know what is on the other side of the shed, perhaps room there for a water butt? They're not always the solution, though, unless the water is actually used. And it tends not to be used in winter when there's most rain :) So perhaps best to run the guttering along the back of the shed to a downpipe and then to the boundary. If the soil is free-draining and the run-off won't cause problems for the neighbours, so much the better. If it's clay, though, a more permanent solution would be a soakaway filled with rubble and gravel.

• Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
        +1,048
        Hello all

Thanks for the replies.

@rustyroots

I am not a member of Facebook, and in all honesty, I never will be :)

After reading quite a bit about how to add the guttering to the shed I may try to do it myself, I just need to work out where I am going to direct the water to.

@noisette47

Unfortunately, there is not room to add a Water Butt on the other side of the shed, and as you say, they are not always the solution if the water they collect is not going to be used and that is my issue with the water butt.

In hindsight, I should of probably had the shed placed further away from the boundary fences but even that would not of been possible because of the layout of the garden, nothing is ever easy is it.

As mentioned above, I have been reading quite a bit about this and one solution that gets mentioned quite frequently is to dig a hole as deep and possible, half fill it with gravel and place the downpipe in the hole.

I do not want to just direct the water onto the soil surface as this would still cause issues for the plants and the soil.

Would this solution work as it sounds ideal for my situation?

My soil is Sandy Loam.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,184
        Hi,

The size of the sheds roof is not that big so you are only noticing it becuse its running off onto the same place and the moss is eagerly growing.

If you put up some guttering and as said direct it towards the concrete panel of the fence you will just have a small area of moss.
        You say its sandy loam so it should soak away quickly, which you kind of confrim by the fact you have a soaker hose.

You could dig out a sump, but it would seem a bit pointless if the soil is free draining, however if there is clay under it, then a soakaway just acts as a sump retaining the water as the clay can be impermeable.

You do not want to be digging big holes by the side of your shed or it might start sinking a bit if the soil is light.

For your sandy loam, what about digging shallow trench, say 150mm wide* and deep along the sides of the shed and filling it with a gravel , this will allow the run off from the roof to be quickly taken up. If moss develops on the gravel, easy enough to turn it over.

* wide enough to catch the run off during light and heavy rain,

• Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
        +1,048
        Hello @ricky101

Thanks for the reply.

Rather than direct the Downpipe to the Gravel Board, do you think it would work if I directed the Downpipe around the back of the shed which is just bare soil?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,184
        Do not see why not, though I would still dig out a few inches of soil from the back of the shed and fill it with gravel to ensure it does not pool on the soil and cause any rot to the sheds base.

You just need two extra 45 deg bends and a bit of pipe on the bottom of the downpipe to take it around the back.
        You might, space permitting, be able to place the bend at the gutter end and have most of the downpipe hidden on the back of the shed.

Its all push fit though if you find some joints are a bit loose you can alway use a bit of silicone sealer to how them in postion.

• Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
        +1,048
        Hello @ricky101

Sounds like a plan :)

Thanks

Kevin