1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice needed on fixing shed roof

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Trunky, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
    Ratings:
    +10,739
    One of the things we inherited when we moved into our new abode last month was a shed with a leaky roof.

Despite my appalling DIY skills, I'm giving it a go and attempting to replace the roof timbers and felt. I know there are some knowledgeable folk on here when it comes to DIY, so I'm hoping you can advise me on a couple of things.

I'm using tongue and groove timber for the replacement roof and I notice that the tongue and groove is cut slightly offset from the middle of the boards. So my question is, does it matter which way up I fit the boards? Does the thicker part of the board go at the top or the bottom?

Also, is it a good idea to use roofing felt adhesive, or will felt nails alone be sufficient?

All advice gratefully received. :)

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,618
    Tongue and groove often has what is known as a "v" as well, a chamfer 45 degrees, this forms a v shape when the boards are put together, maybe that is why the tongue is off centre, if not then I dont have a clue.:snorky:

I'd use felt adhesive if you can, clout nails always allow some moisture through and the adhesive helps in sealing it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,201
      You could use T&G timber for a shed roof but its rather expensive.

The better way is to use 18mm OSB3 board and felt over that.

Not used felt as such, sure other would advise , though looks like plenty of advice on the web.
      Roofing guide | Wickes.co.uk

One thing I have learnt over the years, if using any wood outdoors, treating it with a wood preservative first really does improve its life dramatically.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +49,472
        Agree with @ricky101 - T&G is overkill for a shed roof, and offers no real benefit over the likes of OSB. However, if you already have the T&G in hand, it will do a fine job. My preference is to put the thicker part of the T&G to the bottom - that will give a step rather than a slope, which will encourage the water to drip off rather than just 'sheet' down.

Wood preservative and felt adhesive are also the best way to go.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          Unless it's an emergency, I avoid re-felting shed roofs in cold weather as I just can't get the same level of finish as when replacing in warm summer weather when it's softer and more workable.

Having said that, Black Friday is on 24th November when Wickes normally do 15 to 20% off promotion.

If using Sterling board in lieu of t&g boadin, the roof might benefit from some additional rafters, easier to fit when the boarding's off than retrospectively.

• Informative Informative x 2
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Trunky

Ratings:
            +10,739
            Thanks for all the advice everyone. :dbgrtmb:

Should have checked on here before I started the job shouldn't I? I've already bought the t&g boards, easier to get in the back of the car for one thing. I have treated it with wood preservative, so at least I got that bit right. :redface:

We have three sheds here, another one looks as if it may need doing before too long and it's smaller than the one I'm doing at present, so I'll definitely consider OSB for that one.

Need to go out and get some adhesive this morning, wasn't sure whether I needed it or not.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +16,246
              As Scrungee said above , roof felting in cold weather can be difficult . The felt can crack when bending it around corners. There are two grades ( and prices ! ) of roofing felt . The 5 year stuff and the one below which has a 15 year guarantee. You pays your money and takes your choice.

IKO Green Ultra Durable Super Shed Felt 8 x 1m | Wickes.co.uk

• Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,731
              Has anyone on here tried using EPDM (rubber) on their sheds rather than roofing felt? More expensive but lasts much longer, from what I have read. My roofing felt is OK at the moment but had wondered about EPDM when the time for replacement comes. Here's an ad picked at random:Firestone EPDM Shed Roof Kits

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
                Ratings:
                +5,368
                Going off my own experience, and how things are done here. Which may or may not be different to the UK.

The t&g's are offset because sometimes, they are fixed to whatever is under by "panel clips." These provide a hidden fastening. In this case, the "thinner" side will always be the underside. That because normally, the thick side will be the visible one, so the clips will only fit this way.

On a shed roof, it doesnt really matter, as the need for hidden fasteners is not there. They will either be nailed or screwed into place.

I personally would never use osb board in any form.

Regarding roofing felt. I've found that the best thing to use in this climate are self adhesive tiles made out of roofing felt. I'll try to take a photo of the ones I use when the weather allows.

• Like Like x 1
                • Informative Informative x 1
                • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +16,246
                  EPDM looks very good , should last 20 years . The price is not to bad if you want a really long life roofing . The standard felt roof normally lasts 5 to 10 years.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Trunky

Ratings:
                    +10,739
                    Well, I got the job finished today (only took me 3 days :redface:).

The t&g boards went on quite well, considering it's a 'custom made' shed of many years standing and none of the sides are true.

I got lucky with the weather too, it was quite a mild day here and I kept the roll of felt in the conservatory so it was fairly pliable and easy to work with.

One of the reasons the roof leaked was that it was 'bowed' with a dip in the middle, I think I've cured that by re positioning the some of the rafters, as they weren't all on the same level! The shed is a real 'home-made' job, the rafters being held in place by metal brackets screwed in to the sides of the shed, so it was just a question of unscrewing the brackets and getting the rafters in (approximately) the right position.

Hopefully, the shed now has a watertight roof - I'll see what happens next time it rains. :fingers crossed:

Anyway, thanks for the help folks. I'm so glad the job is done. I really, really, do not enjoy DIY so it's good to know there's always plenty of friendly advice available here on GC. :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 3
                    • John Jameson

John Jameson Gardener

Ratings:
                      +436
                      Corrugated roofing pannels are good, quite cheap too.