1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on what to do with large buddleia

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Andy1100xx, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Andy1100xx

Andy1100xx Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi
    First post here and already looking for advice :)
    We have a large buddleia in our front garden that’s quite top heavy. I’ve removed a lot of top growth already but it’s still moving about alarmingly at the roots when we have a wind and I’m afraid that it’s going to become uprooted. I’ve secured it to the wall with straps temporarily but looking for suggestions for a more permanent solution.
    I’ve attached a couple of photos of the tree and the roots so you can the issue.
    Thanks in advance :blue thumb:
    Andy

Attached Files:

2. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Hi Andy. Welcome to the forum.

Buddleja can often give problems. The trunk always seems to age so fast. The appearance of some roots showings is often due to movement of the tree/shrub rocking about.

Probably most of us would have to admit. Not wishing to cut away at the subject. Baically with pruning trees and shrubs, the plan should be to keep the center of the bush/crown ,fairly open.

First. always get rid of old wood and encourage a good production of fresh new growth. It is difficult to describe, but you could simply start by reducing the size of the tree but at the same time perhaps keeping much of it's present shape.

• Like Like x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,229
      @Andy1100xx
      Assuming it is Buddleja davidii, the standard "butterfly bush" it will take very hard pruning and while it is not the best time of year I would cut it right down to about 2ft above the ground, gently cultivate the ground feed with some general fertiliser and mulch to within 3-4 inches of the trunk, step back and wait. It should resprout from buds within the bark. You might lose this years flowers although it would still have time to flower in the autumn.
      The usual treatment is to cut them hard back in spring removing most of last years growth and then they resprout and flower on the new growth in summer.
      Locally somebody cut a buddleja down to within six inches of the ground in late June, as the growth was overhanging the drive and by September the shoots were 6ft long.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Andy1100xx

Andy1100xx Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +2
        Thanks for the advice. I might hold back for the moment as it’s in full bloom but as soon as the flowers have gone I’ll look to cut back vigorously.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1