1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on what to plant in 3 beds - perrenials

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by AndyS, Jun 27, 2016.

1. AndyS

AndyS Gardener

Ratings:
    +50
    Hi,

I have been doing some food-growing sessions in a local school, teaching the children about how to grow salad, herbs, tomatoes etc.

The school have now asked if I can help them sort out the beds at the entrance to their site. They want plants that flower and look attractive but that are hardy, perennial, low-cost and low maintenance. As someone who only really grows food and a few climbers and summer bulbs I am a bit out of my depth here, but keen to help if I can.

Any suggestions for what might grow well in these beds and fit the criteria above would be hugely appreciated.

Bed sizes are 3m x 10m, 10m x 6.5m and 2m x0.5m. The site gets sun most of the day, climate is dry-ish (East Yorkshire) but otherwise typical of norther England. The soil is quite heavy (clay) but we can add some improver and they were also wondering about laying a weed membrane before planting, cutting out sections for the plants, then covering all in bark mulch.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Andy
    IMG_9373.JPG
    IMG_9374.JPG IMG_9375.JPG IMG_9376.JPG

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,610
    Low maintenance plants are the way to go, so shrubs and herbaceous perennials would be your best bet. If you have a decent nursery with a good plants person nearby, then I would suggest you head that way with perhaps pictures and measurements of the beds and the soil type. He/she will be able to give you plant ideas and you can have a look around to see what may be suitable. Don't be afraid to ask questions about plants and don't forget to check labels for type and suitability. :)

If the beds can be seen from all the way round it is best to start with taller plants in the centre working your way forward with smaller types. The bed backing on to the school wall should have taller plants at the back. :)

Hmmm, not so sure about the weed membrane, it may not work for plants that spread with growth. Plus it's a devil to replace when it eventually starts to perish with age. If planting is done well then most bare soil will be covered in time, therefore keeping the weed problem at bay.

If you buy in bulk from a nursery it's worth asking for a discount particularly if you mention the fact the plants are for a local school.

• Like Like x 3
      Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    • AndyS

AndyS Gardener

Ratings:
      +50
      All great advice. I've visited a couple of local nurseries and drawn up quite a long list of perennial flowering plants, evergreen shrubs, herbs and self-seeding flowers. Thanks for the pointers on plant size and positioning :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,610
        Good luck with the project Andy and don't forget to shout if you need more help. :)

• Like Like x 1