1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on Wisteria and foundations

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by TechieInGarden, Oct 17, 2007.

1. TechieInGarden

TechieInGarden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to gardening so hopefully someone can help. I bought a 4m high wisteria (grafted) to be planted on the front of my house. I have seen these over bay windows and it looks really good. My question is if its safe to plant these near the wall (about 30cm from the wall)? I have read some posts on the internet and some of them say that the westeria will not cause any subsidence or wall damage while others say it could cause damage. The wisteria I bought is not in a big pot and its 4 meters tall so I was hoping that the roots are not going spread too much and cause any problems for the foundation. I found something on the net that said the roots could absorb the moisture and dry the walls causing damage?

I really like this plant but dont want to plant it if its likely to cause any structual damage. I have seen other gradens on my street with them next to the wall!

Thanks in advance for your advice

2. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Ilansachi welcome to the forums.

Sorry haven't a clue about the effects wisteria may have on your home but I do know that it needs some well-rotted manure and compost when it's first planted and a top up every year for it to flower well.

If there are others on your street that has the plant and you can't see any structual damage maybe it's okay.
    I'm sure others in the know will put you right if I'm wrong. [​IMG]
    Helen.xxx.

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Techie I have no clue either. However when I was a kid we had a big one growing up the side of the house, and you see them so often growing up houses that I don't think there can be too much problem. I would plant it as far away from the house as you can (within reason) and lean it towards the house - though it may be a bit big for that. The reason is that the ground can be rather dry very close to the walls.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,035
    I dont know really either, but I do know they have a very extensive root system, I dug mine out years ago but the roots under my pond liner are still alive and throw up the occasional sucker.
    I think if the house foundation is in good order there is probably no real problem. Problems occur with houses built on clay subsoil in very dry summers when the vegitation sucks all the moisture out of the clay causing it to shrink, and subsidance can happen.
    Not a problem this year them. :D