1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Niamh Kelly, Dec 13, 2021.

1. Niamh Kelly

Niamh Kelly Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone!!

I’ve always had a passion for gardening but I’m in a bit of a pickle and will appreciate any advice from experienced members.

So we have purchased a new build and our garden is 100m2 but it’s quite a steep slope as you can see attached pics. Unfortunately it’s too late to back out now so we’re going to have to work with what we have.

Just wondering on what’s the best solution in avoiding flooding and levelling the garden so we can enjoy our garden and plantations

Thanks!!
    Niamh xx

Attached Files:

2. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,509
    Do you know it floods ? Possibly a soak away in prone areas . They is no easy way of leveling the garden other than bringing in some heavy machinery to dig it out . You may lose light on the garden digging it out with the house casting a shadow .

Personally I'd would of preferred the steps going into the garden in the middle of the wall it look more inviting and visually appealing it done well . I'd would add another tier in brick middle / two thirds way up of the lawn area and level the two sections. The lower section mostly patio ( 70 - 30 ) for entertaining if that what you want the garden for, add a few large pots and plant up the rest of the area, and the higher section planted up with one or two statement trees like a acer and add shrubs / perennials / bulbs .

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,169
      Welcome to the forum.

I think it would be very difficult to level, you would need hefty retaining walls if you dug it all out, to stop your neighbour's soil collapsing. If you tried to raise your garden up you would still need retaining walls to keep your neighbours safe, plus steps up from the house.

I quite like the different levels, they add interest and allow you to plant a variety of plants higher up to give you some privacy. Then you will end up with a nice secluded patio area. What direction does your garden face?

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,204
      Thats going to need a lot of thought to make it look attractive, as said , think you want to concentrate on some form of steps /entrance over that retaining wall.
      One way might be to cut an opening in that wall with a series of steps like in the pic below.

For the area above the wall, can only suggest making it a clean even sloping area or a series of level mini terraces, which overcomes the need for more brick retraining walls.

What do you intend to use the garden for, kids, ornamental, fruit and veg and which way is South?

As you can see the retaining wall has drain holes in it, so when laying patio flagstones etc they must slope downwards away from the house, and we would put a small drain along the bottom of the wall, ideally going into one of the house drains.

Do you know if they have built a soakaway in the back garden for the roof gutter outlet , seems to be a common thing with new builds, worth checking with the site foreman to find out exactly were and what type of drains you have.

000953.jpg