Alstroemeria

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jack Sparrow, May 6, 2019.

1. Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,414
    I first mentioned alstroemeria a couple of years ago when I was looking for an orange bush to mark the final resting place of my cat. Soon after I was given a kniphofia as a present. That is now marking the spot and is growing beautifully despite not flowering yet. Hopefully this year (its second year) it will spring into action.

Recently I bought an earn shaped pot which I have decided to place in the centre of my flower bed to add a bit of height and general interest.
    20190504_120202.jpg

I thought an alstroemeria would look good here.

The ones they sell in the shops I believe tend to be orange/pink varieties like the Indian summer. As the rest of the flower bed is orange an blue, I thought perhaps a yellow would stand out better. A quick troll through the internet suggests that there are one or two yellow varieties. They seem expensive and few and far between. Ideally I would be looking for an established plant.

I see that several GC members have experience with alstroemeria. Any help would be appreciated. Or alternative plant suggestions

G.

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,318
    Hi I grow a few alstroemeria , and to buy a established variety is difficult the best large ones I have seen have been in hombase late summer time .... ELEANOR is a good yellow

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      Hi Gary :)
      I grow just the one alstroemeria now. They can be invasive hence just the one plant here but they are beautiful I think :)
      Most everything can be grown in containers but I would not grow an alstroemeria in one....I’m sure many do and can recommend suitable varieties. In my experience they go dormant in mid summer and therefore don’t look too great then as a feature plant. You need a dwarf variety too I think that won’t snap off in the wind.
      Check out Euryops pectinata.....evergreen greyish foliage with yellow flowers for months.
      Not a yellow flower but libertia taupas (poss wrong spelling) is an evergreen stiff grasslike plant with small white flowers in summer. I grow it for its unique orange/copper foliage and it would complement your knip Mango very well......and add the height you desire!
      Anthemis Mrs. Buxton would grow well in a container ..yellow flowers all summer at about 30 to 50 cm.
      Although perennial for me, osteospermum Voltage Yellow will give you delightful yellow flowers from spring to autumn. By taking cuttings you can have this plant forever
      There is another yellow kniphofia popsickle called Lemon, another called Pineapple and both will grow in pots
      Just noticed Spruce has recommended a yellow variety......excellent :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,414
        Alstroemeria 'Little Eleanor' (Peruvian Lily) | Peter Beales Roses - the World Leaders in Shrub, Climbing, Rambling and Standard Classic Roses

@Spruce Good Call. I'll keep my eye on this one.

@Verdun Both seem respectable choices. To me daisy shape flowers dont have that wow factor but in this case they contrast nicely with what's already there. The ern is set back, almost hidden from some angles, so a nice vibrant neat mound of yellow would ping nicely. I'll keep a look out for these too.

Again, I'm not keen on grasses. The pink cordyline on my patio is looking rather ragged. I guess I need to tidy it up. I have looked at zebra grass. It was going cheap in lidl last summer. I managed to miss out on that sale. Another thing I would be happy to look into.
        s-l1000.jpg

The pot I bought cheaply from a discount warehouse. There is no reason why I can't buy a few and inter change them as I feel fit.

G.

• Like Like x 1