1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

An iffy one this....

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by thatfatbloke, Oct 7, 2013.

1. thatfatbloke

thatfatbloke Apprentice Gardener

HGV Driver
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi. A few weeks ago I noticed that a Buddleia which I thought was growing in the ground behind a shed,was actually growing out of the wall. I have now managed to move the shed enough to be able to access the errant shrub and have cut it down almost to wall level. But unfortunately it has damaged both the wall it is growing from (the neighbours own it) and 'our' boundary wall. It has displaced about half a dozen bricks from the dividing wall,and has started to push our boundary wall outwards. I can push our boundary wall with one hand and it moves about an inch. I don't think the boundary wall is in imminent danger of collapsing,but as there is a public access path the other side of the wall where kids sometimes play,it needs to be done sooner rather than later.
    The question is - who is responsible for it?. My neighbour, as it's his dividing wall that the Buddleia grew out of,my landlord as it's his boundary wall,or mine for being a dork and not dealing with it earlier (even though I didn't know it was growing out of the wall). I knew our boundary wall was in need of repair and duly reported it to the (former) landlord some time ago. Nothing happened. We now have a new landlord and it has been brought to his attention. Nothing has happened. I don't mind rebuilding the bit of dividing wall,but the boundary wall would be too much.
    Next thing is - how does one get the rest of the tree out of the walls?. We need to stop it growing again obviously - and quick. The only way I can see is to dismantle both walls enough to free it. Stump killer? Diesel?

Attached Files:

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,832
    If it's growing out of your neighbours wall I'd say they own it and they should sort it. As always with these things, neighbourliness comes into play and an offer from the landlord to split the bill would get things moving sooner. Either way you should notify the landlord asap.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,015
      If its not your property, I would be inclined to tell the landlord and leave it to him to organise any repairs.

However on a practical basis, I would suggest that it would be easier for you to cut and try to kill the plant, as your neighbour can't even see it and doesn't have any easy access.

On a slightly different subject, I did a bit of research when two neighbours had a row about a fence. What I learnt is that a boundary is an infinitely thin line between two properties that doesn't belong to anyone. The Land Registry is only a rough guide to the location of boundaries and is not meant to be used to settle any disputes. Because its such a grey area, they won't ever get involved and suggest that as a last resort you go to court using the property deeds (not the Land Registry) to support your case. With the costs involved, both sides are likely to be the loser. So I suspect that pragmatism rather than legality is usually the best approach.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Stump killer. Glyphosate spray on the leaves if it has any - or if any appear next year.

• fileyboy

fileyboy Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +421
        As Kristen say;s I too would spray with a Glyphosphate spay when it starts to sprout next year, then when it's dead repair your wall. Have a word with your neighbour first though just to be on the safe side.

ian

• hans

hans Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +745
        If you accidentally sprayed it .............accidents do happen