an inspiring new town garden (I think!)

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Clare G, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,731
    [​IMG]
    I really enjoyed seeing and reading about this garden in the Guardian this morning and thought some of you might too. It's in Edinburgh New Town and was designed by someone called Carolyn Grohmann. Not heard of her before but I love the curving designs, the good use made of the old stone walls, and of course the plantings!

More details of those and more photos in this article: How to handle a long, narrow garden

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Some of my favourite plants there too.....clever, stunning and flowing :)
      Thanks Clare G :)

• andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
      Ratings:
      +2,369
      I like the use of curves and the repeat planting but the shed/summer house breaks the flow for me. I'm not one for tucking sheds in a corner but I feel this detracts from, rather than adds to the design.

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,703
      I tend to agree @andrews , if the mancave were in the back corner it would be a good incentive to walk through the garden more often. And it would keep the Man further away from the house. :snorky:

The planting is stunning and well thought out, this definitely makes one want grasses. I read the article and thought that the re- pointing the wall was a bit of an overkill as it obviously has been there for a while and weathered down on its own very nicely. Great decision to skip the "mandatory" climbers and to add lighting.

Thanks @Clare G :)

• Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,731
      I agree with you both about the shed actually @andrews and @Selleri, it is not the handsomest design (especially heightened) and looks a bit discordant there.

I guess one of the reasons why the design overall appeals to me is because I have a similarly odd-shaped plot (though without the handsome walls) and again dealt with that through the use of curves and gravel, though on a more modest scale. Thread about that here: Replacing a lawn with gravel (so glad I did!)

My shed is down at the far end of the garden, hidden behind a pyracantha bush!

• Like Like x 1
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        I'm for the shed in the far right hand corner (I'd rather sit next to some fragrant flowers than a shed), darker slabs on the patio (which has been made dead space), and something more suitable under the small feet of that garden furniture than what looks like loose stones, which is a really unpracticle PITA.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        We are so different arent we? For me the shed makes it all cohesive esp where it is. The "block" gives emphasis to all the relaxed curves; it also picks up on the colours in the boundary walls and on the curved seating.:)

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        Something else that may look good, but isn't practicle.

Over 40 years ago I learnt to allways take a piece of closed cell foam sheet in my rucksack so I could sit on cold, wet seats.

I wouldn't expect to have to do that in order to sit comfortably in my garden.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
      • BellaBlue

BellaBlue Gardener

Ratings:
        +455
        It is a gorgeous garden and will look even better if they let that shed weather to grey, or paint it. I would also have had a paved table area rather than gravel.

I would love, love, love a walled garden!

• Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,830
        With walls like those you can hardly go wrong. What wonderful backdrops to the planting. With so many evergreens it will look good in winter too.

• Agree Agree x 1