1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Angry Gardener

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fran, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Hi coralbat,
    I think we all use the garden centres at some time or other, but they are up to all sorts of tricks to turn that extra buck, :( in most of them anyway. You have to be wary & picky about quality.
    Over the years I have come to the conclusion that around this area we have allot of big chain GCs & a few small family ones, so I plump for the family ones every time now, whenever possible. They seem to take more care, therefore better healthier plants, albeit you may pay more, but if the quality is good so what.
    Support your local small or family GCs to get quality..!!! That's what I think anyway. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Coralbat - I have used garden centres for years, and would not be without them. You will note that this is the first time that I have got "fizzing mad". That said like any other shop, its always a case of buyer beware - their business is selling as many things as possible, but often forget the other thing which is attracting customers back. Dying plants do not attract trade - word soon gets around.

Check the plants you buy, if they look good and healthy with new shoots forming, in compost that does not look as if its been newly potted, then they should be fine. With perrenials even the past their sell by date can recover with a little tlc.

Pete - too right I am sooo very glad that we live in a temperate zone (climate I mean :D ) , extremes are rare.

3. IckleWeed

IckleWeed Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Our local GC has a lifetime guarantee on all of its plants...

If the plant dies.. ever... then the guarantee has run out.

Where's the logic in that ????

But they are the best looked after in this area.

4. Coralbat

Coralbat Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all for your good advice. I live within a mile of three garden centres. Which i think are owed by three different families. Anyway i do enjoy a sunday afternoon wandering round them. But to grow plants from seed would be wonderfull.

I did try radish and lettuce in a pot but wasn't very successfull.

5. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    You can grow from seed without a greenhouse Coralbat you just need to wait for the light levels to come up a bit - and sow in a covered propogator close to the house wall. I grow grow all kinds of bulbs - spring ones planted in the autumn and indeed tubers in a clay soil ncluding dahlias, though this last, I lift after frost blackening - cos they will rot :( .