1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ants/Insects on Ilex Meserveae Hedging

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Julekha, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Julekha

Julekha Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a row of Ilex Meserveae (Blue Prince), the ends of each hedging plant have fresh buds wanting to sprout out but they have gone brown and the leaves have shrivelled. Some because of insects/ants and some because of windburn.
    QUESTIONS
    What do I do? Do I cut it to the nearest bud? or do I cut down to the branch and wait for years? Or do I just spray with bug killer and hope they sprout again?
    If the advice is cut it, how do I stop this in the future?

2. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I would suggest that the the problem is lack of water. How long have you had them? Wind burn will sort itself out as the plants mature. Spraying never solves anything. Hollies are tough and sometimes leaves show brown patches caused by holly leaf miners. Ants can't possibly damage your holly

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Cutthe brown bit off, and spray with a bug killer. You won't be able to stop windburn - but checking regularly when the new buds form, should mean you spot any pests e.g. aphids, which the ants farm, early and deal with them. Either Bug Gun, or soapy water, should do the trick.

4. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Shrubs and trees need a lot of water in their first year after planting. That may be the cause of the buds not opening and leaves shrivelling. You can trim of the brown leaves if you like and give as much water as you can. Then wait and see if they recover.