any ideas plse?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by mike h, Jan 11, 2005.

1. mike h

mike h Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm completely new to gardening and am sorry if this is an obvious question!
    I have a north facing garden with a clay soil and have no idea what plants would do well in these conditions, any ideas plse? :confused:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,312
    What sort of garden do you want?.
    Veg, shrubs, perennials,annuals , flowers or foliage. Probably a mixture of these most people do, but it also depends on how much time you have or are prepared to spend
    pete2255

3. mike h

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pete,thks for your reply.
    I have a few shrubs and trees in already, i would like to work more on the flower beds and create a nice flowering garden for the spring and summer with some winter colour (probably like most people), spending about 3-4 hrs a week on it.
    Many thks for your help.

4. paul

paul Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    one idea is to look around in your neighbours gardens and see what is growing there.i have quite a lot of clay in my garden and just dig in a lot of multi purpose compost into the planting holesand they seem to do fine.good look and let us know how you get on

5. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,879
    Mike,

Shrubs you could try are Chaenomeles, which I think you'll agree is quite attractive
    [​IMG]

Mahonia Japonica thrives in shady conditions
    [​IMG]

Mock Orange (Philadelphus)

[​IMG]

Spiraea, thrives in full sun or light shade

[​IMG]

Hope this helps for a start.

Nathan.

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,312
    When anyone says a shady garden on clay the reply always involves Hostas and Ivy. Both good if you pick good varieties. How about clematis if it can grow up into the sun and a good foliage plant is Fatsia japonica one of my favorites.

7. Anna

Anna Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have found that dogwoods (Cornus) seem to do well in my garden which is on clay. They are nice at the moment (bright red and orange stems) when everyting else is a bit gloomy.

8. mike h

Ratings:
    +0
    thks very much for your help guys, will let you know how i get on.

9. Penlan Perennials

Penlan Perennials Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We all started as novices Mike! The more you read the more you learn. Try joining your local garden club or use the web - the info is out there you just have to find it. Ideal plants for your site are shade/woodland and moisture loving plants such as Actaea, Aruncus (Goatsbeard), Astilbe(False Goatsbeard, Filipendula (Meadow Sweet), Persicaria (Fleece Flower), Rodgersia (Rodger's flower). Evergreen ferns do well if its not windy and the wood geraniums, Geranium phaeum and Geranium sylvaticum are very tough.

10. Bizzylizzy

Bizzylizzy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    virburnums thrive in clay and dont mind shade, there are also many types with flowers in the winter months