1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Any ideas re a visor which wouldn't steam up?

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by silu, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
    Ratings:
    +31,859
    You don't get a second chance with a chainsaw, i know of lots of people with bits missing because the chainsaw bit them, i hate wearing saftey chothes because you can't move in them freely but i will wear the trousers and boots only because i've seen the damage they do and when you have to take someone to A&E fast with the bits in a bag of frozen peas it make you think

• Agree Agree x 1
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      I so agree @Jiffy . Daughter was pretty safety conscience when riding horses at a pretty high level but suppose that was because if you didn't have the right hat, body protector, carry with you info on blood group etc you didn't get to compete.
      You have guessed right why she doesn't wear the trousers, they are restrictive. I'll keep on nagging and maybe argue that only having 1 leg that works, having damaged the other with the chainsaw might be more restrictive:rolleyespink:.
      Mind you I'm not very good at practising what I preach. I use a log splitter with no protective clothing on. Many a time the logs have split and shot off like Exocet missiles all over the place missing me by inches:)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Poly Hive

Poly Hive Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +72
        For every time there is a near miss the serious event crawls ever closer.

Safety kit is there for a damn good reason.

PH

• PaulB3

PaulB3 Gardener

Professional Gardener
        Ratings:
        +327
        Stihl make a very fine black mesh visor ; especially good if strimming or using a chainsaw .
        Use one allt he time .

• silu

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Just received the mesh visor as @Jiffy suggested. Looks just the job, quite comfy to wear and mess seems really strong and NO steaming up. Many thanks and exactly right for what is needed. Cost less than £9 delivered so bank balance not too dented either!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • KingEdward

KingEdward Gardener

Ratings:
          +67
          I have some of these for chainsaw work: OREGON Universal Type A Chainsaw Safety Leggings. Might be a bit big for a woman, but much less uncomfortable than all-round trousers.

• silu

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Thank you @KingEdward, a great suggestion . I do have to say the Stihl safety trousers are hellish to wear. I tried them on with a view to accusing Daughter of making a fuss but found them the trouser equivalent of a straight jacket.The chaps idea sounds really good. Daughter used to wear riding chaps regularly so maybe they would appeal more and certainly wouldn't be so restrictive. I'll pop into the agricultural merchant which sells all sorts of outdoor clothing and wood cutting stuff. Maybe they might do them. I'd be best to take her ladyship with me and get her to try them on before purchase tho:rolleyespink:........Just had a quick look on the net and there could be a slight snag. The Oregan chaps I've found are 1 size fits all, hmm that doesn't sound right. A pair of chaps which are big enough to fit say a 6ft 2ins man are not going to fit my daughter who is 5ft 2ins and pretty slim. Think she would be drowned in them. I'll keep looking tho.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
        • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
          Ratings:
          +4,325
        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          I find a mesh visor OK for flying wood chips from a chainsaw, but I use a plastic visor for strimming and brushcutting, finding too much stuff, including fine splinters that could go through mesh hits the visor to trust mesh. I just dip it in a water but, or bucket of water every so often to clear it, young Teasels, or 'weeding' by giving the soil a haircut can cause a quite a bit of a splatter.

visor.JPG

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
        • silu

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Daughter has been using her new mesh visor and is pleased with it altho she says the bit like a brow band gets a bit hot/uncomfortable after a while. I take your point @Scrungee but daughter wanted to try the mesh instead of the plastic 1. To be honest the mesh 1 I bought recently is pretty fine and quite pliable so reckon you'd have to be very unlucky for anything harmful to get through it. She used hers today to srim a bank which has historic Docks:rolleyespink: which create lots and lots of splatter:). The visor doesn't look quite so new any longer but did the job of protecting her and no steaming up.

• Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
          Ratings:
          +31,859
          Try wearing it with a bobble hat

• Informative Informative x 1
          • glasgowdan

glasgowdan Gardener

Ratings:
            +120
            Products that you wipe on glasses to stop them steaming up DO NOT WORK when you have another layer over them such as overgoggles, and using them doing chainsaw work. There's no really good method sadly.

The mesh visors are fine for hedge cutting, but for chainsaw work I plan it in very short spells, wearing big vented downhill mountain bike goggles over my glasses. A few mins saw work, then taken them off to let everything breathe again. I've had wood dust and shavings in my eye more times than is sensible and it's horrid.