1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Any plants called Mary? Suitable for a memorial present?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by compost maker, Feb 21, 2010.

1. compost maker

compost maker Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My friend Mary has just passed and I want to buy a present for her sister Anne. I thought a Rose or anything about sisters. Any plant thoughn would be appreciated as she could always fill her garden full. Also is there a small minature rose called Jenny or Edward for my parents.

2. Maddie

Maddie Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What a lovely thought. I believe there is a rose, a "Mary Rose". I think, though don't quote me, they are an old-style, quite bushy rose that is very fragrant. I haven't seen any about for quite a while though, so may take some tracking down (might not, I might be wrong on the name or just have overlooked it while out on my travels).

3. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,899
    Hi Compost maker sorry that you have lost your friend Mary,you have my sincere condolences.

There are indeed many Roses named Mary or Mary Ellen and many with double barrel names.

1.Mary Rose Rose : Rose Type - English Roses : Flower Type - Full,very Full,cupped,quartered : Flower Colour - Medium Pink : Fragrance - 6 To 8 Very Strong : Year Of Uk Introduction - 1983 : Varieral - Ausmary.

Mary Magdalene Rose : Rose Type - English Roses : Flower Type - Full,very Full,quartered : Flower Colour - Light Pink : Fragrance - 8 To 10 Exceptional : Year Of Uk Introduction - 1998 : Varieral - Ausjolly

There is also a Fuchsia Named Mary
    [​IMG]

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hi Compost maker, sorry to hear you have lost someone dear.. I would go to David Austin Roses who have a few roses named Mary which are absolutely beautiful. Go to http://www.davidaustinroses.com, select the "Garden Roses" from the choice of two further links and type into the search box "Mary"
    There are a few variations of the name Mary.

Also you can "Name A Rose", whereby (from memory) you pay a fee, get a certificate and a rose sent to you and you can chose your own name. So specifically that rose could be Mary's "full name". for eg. Amry Smith. This is also worth considering as a memorial. Have a search also for "name a rose" sites, of which there are a few, with varying prices so it is advisable to shop about for this particular service. It is very personal and specific to that one person.... :) Hope this helps....