Any tips re my faulty Hozelock sprinkler

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Olivia9801, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,309
    I don't know she hasn't posted on GC since August 2011, so it would seem she's no longer around. :)

2. Scorpio1968

Scorpio1968 Gardener

Business Development Manager
    Ratings:
    +245
    Do B&Q still sell it? If so take it back and swap it without the receipt. They're pretty good like that.

3. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,309
    Scorpio as I pointed out to Nyge this thread is nearly three years old and Olivia hasn't posted on GC since August 2011. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • davidm

davidm Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      I have just bought a hozelock sprinkler and the second time i used it it stopped oscillating.
      Is there anything simple I can try- there doesn't seem much you can take apart to clean? Or shall i just return it?
      Anyone else had the same problem recently (its an Aquastorm 2976)

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,594
      I own a Hozelock sprinkler, which was quite expensive (can't remember how much), and a cheapo rotating sprinkler from Wilko's, which cost £2.

Guess which one consistently performs best.

The £2 Wilko's one, which I can't fault, as it gives nice even coverage over a fairly large area, whereas the more expensive Hozelock gives patches that turn into puddles while other patches are barely wet, and the whole thing happens over a fairly small area

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +48,819
      Either return it, or email Hozelock customer services. I had a problem with a multisprayer and a telescopic lance last year, posted on here and it was picked up by their customer service team who sorted replacements within days. Fantastic service :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        I am sure this is obvious, but the red "tabs" that limit/extend the width of the arc that it oscillates through have not got pushed together - thus limiting the arc to "Nothing" - have they?

• davidm

Ratings:
        +0
        Thanks for the replies - yes I have moved the red tabs but to no avail. Decided I will return and risk a replacement. I got this because I thought Hozelock were a good brand- was I just unlucky do you think?

• clueless1

Ratings:
        +19,594
        This is just my experience, and I'm no way an authority on whether or not a particular brand is better than any other brand etc, but, I find the Hozelock adapters, spray guns etc to be of better construction than many of the cheaper alternatives, in that they leak less, and tend to not fall apart quite as soon as the cheaper ones, but of 3 sprinklers I've owned, one being Hozelock, one being some random cheapo, and one being the Wilko's cheapo, I'd rank the Wilko's one as best, the Hozelock second best, and the random cheapo worst (on account of the fact that it oscillated for all of about 5 oscillations before stopping, then bursting, then never working again).

• davidm

Ratings:
        +0
        Thanks for the feedback- I have sent my faulty one back and got a replacement so I'll see if I was just unlucky or whether the product is a triumph of marketing over quality!!

• oldtj

oldtj Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +5
        Hozelock is plastic rubbish. most cheaper brands are much better designed and made to last , try comparing the quality of Gardenline from Aldi with Hozelock and then do the right thing by committing your Hozelock rubbish for recycling in the hope that it will be reincarnated to something useful

• crystalbay

crystalbay Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        After trying all the usual suggestions for my sticking Hozelock sprinkler I think I have the answer.
        I tried
        I too have tried all the suggestions to cure my five years old Hozelock sprinkler from sticking, such as kettle descaler, WD40, vinegar, etc. Without success. My reckoning was that if the gears were worn out it wouldn't even go for a few minutes. There must be a foreign body inside that is causing the stoppage. Last night I decided to have one last try to fix it.
        There's only one way in so I unscrewed and removed the end piece that connects to the hose pipe, and also took out the filter piece. I put the whole sprinkler in the kitchen sink, filled with hot water, to which I added several squirts of washing up liquid. While sloshing about I manually moved the oscillator bar vigorously, then to finish off I poured more washing up liquid directly into the sprinkler and poured a kettle full of boiling water in after it. This might seem overkill but after I flushed it out under the tap I felt that the oscillater bar was moving very smoothly and sweetly. With trepidation I took it to the hose pipe and switched on. Hey presto. I left the water turned on for two hours, turned off then turned on again for another hour. No sticking, just perfect sprinkling.
        It may be that the hot water dissolved what was inside, or it just got flushed out. Whatever, I'm convinced that the cause of sticking is a body in the works.
        Today, 9th July 2014, it's still oscillating perfectly. Good luck.

• crystalbay

crystalbay Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        See my post of 9th July 2014. My 5 year old hozelock is oscillating like new after a good flushing our with hot water and detergent.

• clueless1

Ratings:
        +19,594
        I have a few Hozelock items. As I mentioned, they are fine. The Hozelock sprinkler doesn't perform as well as the cheapo Wilkos sprinkler, but that's one item, when I say it doesn't perform as well, that doesn't mean it leaks or anything, it does what its meant to do, just that the distribution of water is not as even as on the cheapo one.

I have no qualms with Hozelock. Like any brand, some of their stuff will be below par, some will be good. I once owned a Vauxhall Vectra that fell apart. I wouldn't condemn everything ever to carry the Vauxhall badge just because of my one bad car.

• oldtj

oldtj Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +5
        Thanks to many people praising Wilko watering products, I made the effort to go and see for myself and upon looking at the Wilko range have purchased a lot of watering stuff to replace the Hozelock rubbish.

Hozelock and Wilko stuff were side by side, so it was very easy to compare the quality and prices, Hozelock were about double the price and in my opinion Wilko were far better quality, even to the extent of guarantees... Their top of the range hoses actually have a 30 year guarantee how does Hozelock stack up with that ?

OK so I may appear biased against Hozelock, but when you have spent money replacing the same Hozelock items year after year, there comes a time when enough is enough and Hozelock will never see another penny from me. :nonofinger:

So my watering equipment now consists of Florabest, Gardenline and Wilko :spinning: