1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody built their own greenhouse?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by southerner, Jul 1, 2020.

1. southerner

southerner Apprentice Gardener

Carpenter
    Ratings:
    +19
    Has anybody built their own greenhouse? what materials did you use and how is it working out? Thanks.

2. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,685
    I've built a few over the years. Wood-shouldn't be too difficult for you looking at your occupation with glass panels. These were replaced with twin wall plastic stuff.
    The one I have now is blockwork with timber frame on top. Once again, the glass is being replaced with twin wall polycarbonate

The polycarbonate tends to be more expensive, but I got fed up with a family of foxes using the roof as a launch pad.....these animals aren't light footed and several panels have been shattered

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,204
      Hi,

Interesting question, what size and type are you thinking of ?

Until recently I would have said get a decent second hand aluminium from the usual sites there are some good bargains out there, but they have all but disappeared with lockdown and so many turning to gardening.

If wood, surely its down to the cost of red cedar or similar as painted wood is just storing up hours of work for the future. Assume you have a source of good quality timber at a good price ?

Like @flounder we have replaced the glass with 10mm twinwall, stops the footballs etc, but does slightly reduce the light coming through, though it really does make a big difference if you want to heat over winter.

• Like Like x 2
      • southerner

southerner Apprentice Gardener

Carpenter
        Ratings:
        +19
        Cedar is not going to happen as too expensive, the painting maintenance part is putting me off a bit - might just bite the bullet and buy an ali one, powder coated perhaps.

I have seen a few used ones for sale, anybody know if they come apart easily or do they get wrecked a bit?

• Like Like x 1
        • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
          +3,718
          The one I fetched came apart pretty easily, you may get the odd stubborn nut and bolt but if you take the right tools it shouldn't be a problem. One tip is to take photos and mark the sections up, makes it easier when reassembling.

• Like Like x 2
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Graham B

Graham B Gardener

Ratings:
            +491
            I dismantled an ally framed one, because where it was sat didn't fit with how I want the garden to be laid out. Apart from a couple of nuts I had to cut, it came apart ok.

The frame is still sat behind the shed, waiting for me to clear a space for it. Glass all went to the tip. As the others say, I'll be replacing with plastic - actual glass in greenhouses these days just isn't sensible.

• Like Like x 2
            • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +86,041
              Personally I think cedar is overrated as regarding rot resistance.
              I'd go for ali, no real maintenance required, Mine two still have mostly glass, apart from one side which I had to replace with 10mm polycarbonate due to neighbours kids.

• Like Like x 2
              • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                Ratings:
                +30,616
                @southerner I think you will find that by the time you add all the costs of materials, getting one ready to assemble (or second hand) would probably be cheaper and certainly less hassle. Nothing to forget. I'm pretty handy with my power tools and I was tempted at first but after costing the lumber and all the rest, I figured it would cost at least the same as a kit and be a lot more hassle.

• Like Like x 3
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
                  Ratings:
                  +1,685
                  It's more fun to make your own, especially if you live on a corner plot and have to build a triangular greenhouse to maximise the space. As for cost, over this side the prices tend to be extortionate for anything but the flimsy, two season affairs.
                  The most expensive part of the build your own malarkey, is the cost of the alcohol in the planning stage:heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1
                  • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                    Ratings:
                    +30,616
                    @flounder that is too funny! I waited until I was finished before imbibing as I had to do it on my own. The only thing that made things difficult for me was that I really needed longer arms for the job. Lots of creative clamping happened to substitute for having a helper. Took me a day for each one. Yes same amount of time for the smaller ones and they were the last so I should have been faster having "been there, done that"!

Mine have the clear polycarbonate. You know us gals, pretty wins over practicality ;)

• Funny Funny x 1