1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody got a Bramley tree on it's own?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by southerner, Jun 15, 2020.

1. southerner

southerner Apprentice Gardener

Carpenter
    Ratings:
    +19
    I want to add a Bramley tree to my garden, I am aware it needs a pollinator.

Has anybody got a Bramley tree on it's own that produces fruit? I ask as it has been suggested to me that in my neighbourhood somewhere will be apple trees that will polinate the Bramley even if I can't actually see them.

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,077
      As far as I know even crab apple will pollinate them so the chances are there is some kind of apple tree near you that will pollinate your bramley.

You may not get a massive crop though.

The thing is with bramley it doesn't pollinate other apples, so its a bit of selfish beast.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,346
        Bramleys are a bit odd as well as selfish. From Orange Pippin website "Choose another variety Pollination of Bramley's Seedling apple trees Your Bramley's Seedling apple tree is in flowering group 3.It is a triploid variety and needs two pollination partners nearby which must both be of different varieties and able to cross-pollinate each other as well as the Bramley's Seedling. Alternatively choose a single self-fertile pollination partner."
        There are probably still enough apples around your area to do the job.
        Also bear in mind the space you have for it and choose a suitable rootstock as Bramleys are vigorous trees.

• Like Like x 3
        • Arlandria

Arlandria Gardener

Parent/Carer
          Ratings:
          +284
          I *think* ours is bramley (it was here when we moved in and it looks like one based on the fruit). We don't have another apple tree and it produces huge quantities of apples every year.

A friend of mine has an apple tree and failed to get fruit last year. She then learned that a neighbour had cut down their apple tree and that explained it. She's buying a crab apple tree to rectify the problem.

• Like Like x 2
          • southerner

southerner Apprentice Gardener

Carpenter
            Ratings:
            +19
            Thanks for the replies :)

I think I might just plant it and see what happens, I am planning on buying as a bare root tree so will see what happens next spring - I have been advised to remove any first year fruits anyway but if there aren't any I will probably just add in a self fertile tree next year - Red Falstaff is top of the list for that scenario at the moment!

• Like Like x 1
            • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
              Ratings:
              +21,346
              Be aware it might not flower the first spring after planting, my new ones only flowered in their second spring.

• Like Like x 2