Anyone lost anything surprising this winter?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Erigeron, Mar 15, 2024.

1. Jess91

Jess91 Gardener

Ratings:
    +85
    Some allium sphaerocephalon that were newly planted last autumn. Thought I had amended the soil enough but obviously not
    I think a heuchera has died too, though I will leave it a while yet just in case. All the others have new growth but not this one. No sign of vine weevil larvae. Weird.

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,104
    How did you kill them? I've been trying to get rid of them for about 3 decades. They have the same approach to a garden as grape hyacinth; they think they should occupy the whole of of it.

3. Jess91

Jess91 Gardener

Ratings:
    +85
    No idea planted them into clay soil but amended with lots of grit and compost. It's been an exceptionally wet winter here so can only assume either the bulbs were no good or they rotted off

4. Groundsman

Groundsman Apprentice Gardener

Volunteer/Retired
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had 5 crowns in my rhubarb patch, 2 gifted from a neighbour by spliting theirs and 3 grown from seed 2 years ago. By far the strongest (originally a seedling) and in the best position for light and drainage hasn't reappeared. Sometimes it's just an unexplained mystery.

Strange

5. AdrianBg

AdrianBg Gardener

Ratings:
    +200
    I wouldn't give up hope yet. I have 2 rhubarb plants, both the same cultivar, both planted at the same time a couple of years back just a few metres apart. One appeared more than a month ago, the other only started poking its nose through the soil a few days ago.

6. Groundsman

Groundsman Apprentice Gardener

Volunteer/Retired
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your hopeful comments @AdrianBg. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

My only other casualty seems to be an established lavatera that's got some bad stem rot thanks to all the rain and our clay soil making drainage a challenge. My rule of thumb is not to give up all hope until May but it looks in terminal decline.

7. JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,514
    Some monarda Panorama mix that I grew from seed a couple of years ago seem to have disappeared without trace - not even the dead stems from last year. One is growing (and the dead stems were still attached until I cut them down the other day) but the others, no sign. Sod's law the surviving one will turn out to be the least nice colour.
    On the bright side, a potted cutting of Clematis alpina "Willy" that I thought was a goner has put out a tiny shoot sometime in the last day or so.