1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple tree - Aphids and possbily beatles, how to treat?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Aldo, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,972
    Hi @Palustris Just wondering about the copper sulphate mixture- i cant find any instructions on how to dilute it for spraying on trees-any ideas? I've only seen blue packets of it for sale on ebay. what do you use?

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,369
    The chaps must be having a lie-in, @Snorky85 :biggrin: Just to clear up a few misconceptions....Bordeaux mixture is what Palustris recommended. It's widely used here (in fact it's about the only treatment still authorised). It's a fungicide, not an insecticide. Here's a link: Bordeaux mixture - Wikipedia.
    So used to tackle mildew and scab. Bitter pit is caused by a calcium deficiency, current thinking is that it's linked to dry conditions.Bitter pit in apples
    Three options for getting rid of aphids: insecticide, soapy water or sit out the infestation and wait for the ladybirds etc to do their stuff.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
      Ratings:
      +10,972
      Hi @noisette47 Thanks for replying! Yes, I wanted it for fungicidal use - I should have put that. I've just ordered some online so should get it by the end of the week. :dbgrtmb:

I'm determined to keep horrible fungus off my pleached trees this year. x

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,991
        Do we know what type of fungal problem you have on your trees? @Snorky85

• Like Like x 1
        • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
          Ratings:
          +10,972
          Not really @pete It looked a bit like a black spot. the bloke from the suppliers said they'd got it whilst stored over the winter. All the fresh new growth after copper treatment was clear. just want to make sure it continues.

we get a lot of fungal problems in the garden-the roses suffer the most.

was checking the pear trees next to the pleached trees and they had red bubbly looking leaves so I cut all the bad bits off-now want to spray them. The pear tree in the back garden is fine (fingers crossed it stays that way).

Also suffer with blimmin ants bad and the cherry tree get loads of black aphids on them and the ants farm them! Little blighters-will put lemon oil around them as suggested.

• Informative Informative x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,991
            Black spot on roses can be controlled with a sulphur spray, not sure if it would work on your trees though.
            If you sprayed last year with copper and it worked then best to carry on.

• Like Like x 1
            • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
              Ratings:
              +10,972
              tempted to try the sulphur spray on roses-I heard that that's why roses in cities and built up areas do well due to sulphur in pollution-apparently that's why black spot wasnt very common back in the old days :old:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +14,369
                The pear problem sounds like pear leaf blister mite. You did exactly the right thing picking them off. I don't think there's an insecticide to deal with them, but they can be eradicated just by disposing of the affected leaves :blue thumb:

• Informative Informative x 1
                • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                  Ratings:
                  +10,972
                  thanks @noisette47....I wish id taken a photo of it. I will surely find more so will add a photo on here

• Like Like x 1
                  • Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
                    +1,318
                    Hey, embarassingly, I bought it but never used it...
                    Every year I keep forgetting until it is too late. Probably I should set a calendar reminder or something.
                    I did however spawn some some garden giant mushrooms in woodchips under the tree in question, which helped a bit, but did not solve its numerous problems.

• Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
                    Ratings:
                    +1,136
                    We tried a few home made remedies ourselves.

First was a really, REALLY strong black tea. We brewed it specifically for this reason, let it cool and then sprayed it onto the leaves.
                    Within a day there was a giant aphid party. It looked like a Techno-Rave and they multiplied like crazy. Another two days later almost all of them disappeared so I guess the hangover killed them.... Success in that regard.

My mother in law swears on another remedy to kill them off. She collects wild growing stinging nettles and (giant) hogweed (please wear gloves while doing so), puts them into a water filled bucket with a lid on it and lets them rot for about 1-2 weeks in warm weather. The resulting mixture can be sprayed onto the plants. The nettles provide nutrients whereas the hogweed kills "all them nasty critters".