1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Are all bulbs perrenial?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by paterson00, Aug 4, 2009.

1. paterson00

paterson00 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just noticed how cheap bulbs are from my local garden center, but before I go crazy and get a load, will they cone back next year? Do they require any looking after during winter? I have heard that some require digging up and storing during the snow etc...

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    In essence yes they are perennial. A bulb is a vessel for storing food for the next year, which automatically makes them perennial. So in theory they should all come back next year. Sometimes the mother bulb, such as a Tulip, can break into four or five smaller bulbs after it has flowered, so is that perennial (the same plant returning) or annual (the plant reseeding)? But in practice the result is the same.

Many bulbs, such as Crocus, Dafodil and Allium, will come back year after year with no trouble. But others such as Tulip are not so good at returning. To explain why, you have to look at the reason why they are bulbs. Bulbs have devised a mechanism to hide underground for a specific reason. Some are British woodland bulbs that flower early in the year before the trees have any leaves on and then have to dormant when the leaves grow, because their light source will be cut off. These will be used to British winters and be perfectly hardy.

But some such as Tulips come from central Asia, where they grow and flower during a mild wet season, then hide underground during the searingly hot and dry summer. In this case they are not used to cold wet English summers and have a tendancy to rot. This is why it is recommended that you lift Tulips during the summer and let them dry out. Strictly speaking these bulbs are not totally dormant during this period, they are internally creating the new plant structure for next year.

Dahlias are in a similar category. They come from Mexico and are not used to our wet winters. So it is recommended that Dalhia tubers are lifted after the first frosts have killed the foliage and made the tubers go dormant. Then they should be stored in a frost free place over winter.

So the answer is to get their names and Google them individually to see what people say about their hardiness. On the other hand, if they are cheap enough, just get some.

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I find the secret with bulbs is to plant them amongst other things. This way, once the bulbs have finished flowering, the tattu foliage is hidden by later flowering plants that grow up and cover them. As spring flowering bulbs flower early, there is no problem with them being hidden by more vigourous plants either.

Alliums are great for a late Spring display and can still look good even at this time, with their seed heads drying out. I plant them in groups, amongst other herbaceous perennials.

4. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Before you buy the bulbs, have a look as to when they should be planted. The could be selling off summer flowering bulbs cheap like gladioli, iris and lily. I would tread with caution, as these may not like been stored in the ground over winter before growing next spring.

When buying bulbs, I always give it a squeeze to see if it is hard or soft inside. If it is very squashy then it may be rotten, so avoid.

Hope this Helps!

5. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    Good answers from Peter, Aaron and plant1star. I would only add that as a beginner you really can't go wrong with daffodils; they're really easy and come back year on year, usually getting better.

6. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    I bought a sack of daffs last year from Wilkos for £5 ,as i had none in the ground, they opened at the end march , as i was away till then, and i had 100 daffies most of which were doubles

7. Freedom_Spark

Freedom_Spark Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    How far apart should daffodils be planted? I read somewhere it should be 6 inches but some people seem to manage to have large areas completely covered. Also when is the best time to plant, I've ordered some from suttons & they'll be delivered mid september should I plant right away?

8. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,617
    How far apart should daffodils be planted---is the question above. It depends on when you want to dig them back up to split them. Over the years the bulbs will make babies under ground, its ok for a few years, like 10 or so as long as you have planted the "mother" about 6 to 8 inches apart. If "mother" is closer then they will jam up together sooner. The same goes for all other bulbs. Over the 20 years we have been in our house we have planted 1000 bulbs of varied variety each year. Every so often we have to get at a grouping and dig them up, separate them and replant them. I am guessing over the years we most likely have 60,000 bulbs +++, that come up starting in spring through early June.
    I plant my bulbs starting in October and end mid November, and they have all done just fine.

9. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    September is the perfect time to plant daf bulbs.......I'd say about a foot apart but don't be precise.............it looks more natural if it's random.

10. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Ratings:
    +10,617
    I also love random bulb planting, hate lines. Mostly I go with huge circles, keeps me structured that way.
    For smaller bulbs its truly random.

11. paterson00

Ratings:
    +0
    So for the bulbs that are traditionally hot places like the tulip would it be wise to have them planted in a pot so that when the time has come I can just put the pot in the shed til next year and let it dry out just as though they were being dug up?

12. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I have never done that, but yes I think that would so. Tulip bulbs (and some others) may break apart into smaller bulbs at the end of the season. Traditionally they are lifted and seperated. The larger ones will flower again next year and can be replanted. But the smaller ones may not be big enough to flower and may be placed in a nursery bed to grow on, they should then flower the next year.

You can still leave them in the pot, but be aware that next year there, although there should be more, some will be blind (ie won't flower).

Bulbs is a huge subject of its own. You will find that some like your conditions and some don't. For instance I have a number of Allium bulbs. Allium nigrum, a white one, was marvellous last year, but never came back this year. Alliums hollandicum and christophii keep coming back for me but don't multiply, whilst Allium spheracephalon multiplies freely.

13. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Ratings:
    +10,617
    Bulb storage --- all of what I've read is that they are to be stored out of dirt in a brown paper bag in a cool dry dark area. However, I never dig my Tulips up again except to separate babies after a few years and then put back into ground again. I don't pot mine. Bulbs in general need that cold winter under ground to re-generate for the next season. If you live in a warm area--that is always warm, never below freezing there has to be a portion of time the bulb needs to be in a cold place--not experienced with that knowledge.

14. paterson00

Ratings:
    +0
    I have already ordered the tulips so ill whack em in the ground and see what happens since that is where i would like to have them rather than the pots and if that doesn't work ill put them in pots in future...maybe... experimentation is the name of the game here i think...?

15. strawman

strawman Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    From what I understand, Tulips tend to be annuals, since they rarely flower with as much success the second time around. Many bulbs flower year after year and if you take the guidance of the grower, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to extend your bulb flowering season. We have a garden fair some time during September, where bulbs are the main items for sale, the information regarding their properties comes free.