1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Arlandria's Long-Term Garden Renovation Thread

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Arlandria, May 31, 2020.

1. 2nd_bassoon

2nd_bassoon Super Gardener

Vet
    Ratings:
    +1,840
    Thanks @Arlandria ! Yes, I definitely wouldn't go for this type of arch again - it was cheap and cheerful, and has done the job for us the last few years, but the legs are starting to rust through. We move out in a couple of weeks though, so that can be the next tennts problem :heehee: Because we rent I was loathe to spend any proper money; the next garden will have a much smarter one, I've already decided :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
    • Arlandria

Arlandria Gardener

Parent/Carer
      Ratings:
      +284
      That's what we said when we moved from a rented house to this one (which we own) - but then our daughter came along and... well, we've done a lot and nothing's finished and I spend a lot of time working on being okay with that :loll:

• Like Like x 2
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Hi Arlandria, would you mind posting a pic of the Rose on here??

• Arlandria

Arlandria Gardener

Parent/Carer
        Ratings:
        +284
        Sure - here's a few.

This is from 19th May, this year. I recall that she's a rambler rather than a climber but I forget the criteria for differentiating. She was taller than this, but the winds blew her off her trellis last year and she's been hanging off the side ever since. I'd say she was about 8ft high at her peak, and she's about 8 years old.

[​IMG]

These are more recent. We built her a temporary support to keep her mostly off the ground until she's moved.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
        • Arlandria

Arlandria Gardener

Parent/Carer
          Ratings:
          +284
          My new potting table arrived yesterday, so I thought it'd be a good time to share some pics of my potting shed.

The husband and I share the big shed at the bottom of the garden. His side is a workshop and mine is for gardening. Of course, neither of us really get a look-in because the child has claimed the whole space for herself :heehee:

Here's the table - tray on top for little pots and a pot for a bin. The box underneath has my various feeds and a couple of 5L jerry can style bottles for mixing.

[​IMG]

This is the wall opposite where I store everything else:

[​IMG]

I'm waiting on a few finishing touches (magazine files, more magnetic clips) but it's mostly there. Once we have power I'll bring my bluetooth speaker out.

I also spent some time behind the shed yesterday, looking at the space while it was dark and rainy, and once the sun came back out, trying to get some ideas for how to lay it out. I want to add some seating - not a lot, just a small bench I think - and plants that enclose the space a bit and provide more cover.

I took a few pics so you can see what we're working with - please excuse the mess!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is as sunny as it gets back there - our two eucalyptus trees provide a lot of shade up top and our neighbours to the rear and the right both have trees that provide further cover.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
          • ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,836
            Well, unfortunately, our true Rose expert, (Woo), isn't available to give his opinion, Arlandria, but you might consider looking at Rose "Paul Scarlet" or "Red Showers" to see if they look anything like your Rambling Rose.:cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Like Like x 1
            • Arlandria

Arlandria Gardener

Parent/Carer
              Ratings:
              +284
              Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to this, I think I missed the notification!

I would love it if it's Paul's Scarlet (I was a big fan of Captain Scarlet as a child, and if I recall correctly, his 'real' name was Paul). I don't think Homebase (where we bought it) sell David Austin roses though - the question is, did they 8 odd years ago...!

Crimson Shower looks like the right colour - a better match than Paul's Scarlet - but the blooms don't look the right shape.

I just had a look on the Homebase website and they currently sell a red climbing rose, but it has no details of the variety. I may never know. Oh well - she's Rosie to us and that's the important thing.

• Like Like x 1
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,836
                A lot of Nurseries actually sell David Austin Roses but, for some reason, some charge more than David Austin do:wallbanging:

• Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +8,509
                Hello Arlandria , you've been busy I see I like your potting shed / bench. Regarding the rose , count the amount of leaves per leaf section most climbers have 5 set of leaves and Ramblers have normally 7 sets . I have Paul scarlet which is a climber the colour is more of a pinky red which doesn't favour yours, unless your camera hasn't picked up on the colour correctly when taking the photo

• Like Like x 1
                • Arlandria

Arlandria Gardener

Parent/Carer
                  Ratings:
                  +284
                  I've bought from David Austin before and I'm pretty sure there's no way I'd have persuaded my husband to spend that on an impulse purchase 8 years ago! Pretty sure it didn't come in a branded pot either which I know they do (these days at least). Never know though!

Ooh thank you - I'll pop out and count as soon as it stops raining. The heavens have just opened :mad:

It looks red in some lights and pinky red in others. I'd say it is usually a little more pink than the photos.

• Like Like x 1