1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Armandii's retreat

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Naylors Ark

Naylors Ark Struggling to tame her French acres.

Ratings:
    +1,019
    What a colourful garden you have ARMANDII. Lots of lovely plants there.:)
    I must say it's not really to my taste, I like space to admire things in.
    If you had much more land would you still plant so intensely? Of course you would also use up a lot more dosh! :OUCH:

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      The answer to your question, Naylor, is a definiteYES because I have an insatiable appetite for plants. The beauty of gardens is that there are so many different styles and fashions. I've been to many a garden where I definitely didn't feel inspired and wouldn't have copied any ideas from, but I did see the beauty in it and the hard work it must have taken to get it to it's peak.
      I've not fond of a garden in France, I forget the name, where there were no flowers but cut and shaped hedges instead. It was fantastic in the way it was designed, the straight clean lines and geometric preciseness of it, but to me it was a statement of mathematics and not of what I consider a garden should speak to you about, colours, shapes, textures, romance of nature, and to feel a peace in it. But it was a garden in it's own right and would wow those with a mind that liked precision and clean lines.
      I visit gardens where there is space and fantastic views and I'm awed by the beauty of the brilliance of design, but it's not what I would want to step out into when stepping through my garden entrance. But all the unbelievable number of ideas, designs, contrasts, use of plants, that I see when in other gardens, private or public, just confirms for me the magic of gardening
      So, given 10 or 100 acres of land, I would plant and design the garden in the way I have my Little Piece of Heaven. Admittedly, I have spent money on plants that I thought were
      desirable, but a lot, as said previously, are from friends, cuttings, sowings. Like every gardener I get a kick out of getting a plant for nothing or at a bargain price, but I also get a kick out of raising a plant from seeds or cuttings because I did it out of my efforts.

Naylors Ark, I step out into my Little Piece of Heaven and I get a glow of well being and content when I do so, and I hope that you, and all my friends on this Forum, have that same feeling when you/they step out into your/their garden:D

• Like Like x 2
      • daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,881
        Armandii, it is beautiful and fitting tribute. Well done you.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
        • Naylors Ark

Naylors Ark Struggling to tame her French acres.

Ratings:
          +1,019
          ARMANDII, I agree with you, Each to their own. I also agree about the French topiary style gardens, not to my taste either. I don't find all those straight lines and shapes at all relaxing. I'm fond of messy romantic gardens with surprise "objects" that appear round corners. :) Gardens with long vistas, water gardens, woodland gardens.......eventually I hope to achieve all of them where I am now. I wonder if I'll make it. :cool: :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
          • Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
            Ratings:
            +1,667
            Beautiful gardens, and full of some gorgeous plants......well done.

• Like Like x 1
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,836
              I don't think we all that far apart in thinking, Naylor. Messy, romantic gardens, with surprise objects just around the corner sounds exactly right to me. If you want achieve all of them, and you have the space, DO IT!!!!, then you can have your own Little Bit of Heaven:heehee:

• barnaby

barnaby Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +73
              Hello Armandii and thanks for the earlier information regarding feeding which I found most helpful. My garden is not so large but I am gradually cutting back the lawn to make space for more similar planting - will see how it goes, meanwhile thanks again.....

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,836
              You're welcome, Barnaby. You'll get the garden to how you want it, just take your time. Just pick up a bargain plant every now and then and pack it in.!! Over the years the lawn got smaller and smaller as we cut it back to enlarge the borders. But when you're doing it on your own it's more difficult. Taking your time will give you the chance to go over a few ideas and maybe change your mind about your original thoughts and let the garden just happen.

You'd think I'd given up getting more varieties of plants, but no, I was at a market in Frodsham, in Cheshire and there was a white Lavender for £2.50p, just couldn't resist!!! Now all I need is to find a place to plant it.:D

Keep in touch and let us all know how you get on with your garden, Barnaby.:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
              • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
                +12,322

Hi Armandii

Simbad has come up with a good match , Scarlet oak we all agree is correct , and the other one is Bad but Beutiful 1975 and describded as rose and cream bicolour cream throat , if you google Daylily Manor they have a good picture on their site:dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb: its won a silver medal and bred by someone called Sellers

Spruce

• Like Like x 2
                • barnaby

barnaby Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +73
                  Since the lady of the house is a non-gardener, I've always been the planter (she is often the one with the scissors). Used to have a good friend living in the Frodsham are Armandii but lost touch a few years ago. Down here, a cheap plant is a rarity but I do live nearby the Crocus headquarters and they often have open days when they offer the occasional good deal. Still have lots of things in flower but the hot days we have had have caused a problem ot two.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  Hi, Barnaby, well I take my hat off to you as it's not easy to garden if your Lady is not a Gardener, as it's always better to share and enjoy things like that. A garden is always "moving" and changing every year and throughout the year no matter what the size and that's makes you want to go along with it. There's no such thing as a perfect garden, except perhaps to the owner, as every year there's something changed and different.
                  If you've got an idea in your mind about your garden, Barnaby, why not do it, just take your time.

I can't resist a bargain plant or variety that I haven't got already, even if I haven't got a place for it. It just means telling my plants to move over there's another coming in!

Where are you located, Barnaby, as it's not on your profile??

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +46,155
                  Sorry I missed this thread somehow. What a lovely garden you have Armandii, so much colour and variety, good to see you have a place to relax in too and admire your work. Well done!

• Like Like x 1
                  • catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
                    Ratings:
                    +2,250
                    You should post some more pics Armandii!! Don't forget to include Sally and Jenny!!!

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                    +100,836
                    !!

Well, I spent the day up a ladder sawing 4'ft of the top off a Chameacyparis Boulevard which is supposed to be a dwarf but has had 30 years to reach 14' ft. But after a cup of tea took a walk around the garden again, so here you are Catztail, Armandii's Retreat looking slightly different and showing the hints of the coming of Autumn:

[​IMG]

The entrance to the garden, with the clematis looking a bit spent. Sorry it's bit lopsided!!

[​IMG]

This Berberis has been there around 30 years and has never got any bigger, it's thorns have stayed sharp though as it always gives me a friendly prod as I go past.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just love the shape and colour of these seed heads.

[​IMG]

I think this yellow Canna is absolutely stunning.

[​IMG]

The finished back rest to the Arbor with the Dragon and two Foo Dogs on guard.

[​IMG]

The seat with temporary cushions while I look for something more substantial and with the right colour scheme.

[​IMG]

Sally by the Irises.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love the burnt gold colour of this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Cannas are still going strong adding that colour to the garden.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The smaller birdbath is in the center of the picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Somebody on my seat!!

[​IMG]

Jenny posing by the main birdbath.

[​IMG]

Going into the garden.

[​IMG]

The central path looking like Autumn is on the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of my favourite seats as it's completely hidden from view.

[​IMG]

I think the pond entrance gate is in need of repair!!

[​IMG]

Jenny posing again.

[​IMG]

I think I'm being followed. [Sally]

[​IMG]

The South leg of the pond.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Lillies in the pot are well gone while the cottage sink is look a bit tired now.

[​IMG]

The Greenhouse in September.

Of course it rained just after I took the pictures and guess where the cats were:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can definitely tell Autumn is here with the hints of red and gold in the leaves now. Well, I can always look forward to Spring, can't I??!!:D

• Like Like x 8
                    • catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
                      Ratings:
                      +2,250
                      Brilliant Armandii!! It's great to be able to see how the garden changes with the seasons. Love how new and different things have come into focus. It has mellowed now and gives off a different feeling totally. The girls look like they are quite happy. Give them both cuddled for me.:D

• Like Like x 1