1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

At last it's flowering

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Scorpio1968, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Scorpio1968

Scorpio1968 Gardener

Business Development Manager
    Ratings:
    +245
    Can't remember what it's called but it's twice the height it's supposed to be.
    1.jpg
    You can just see the Trollius flowering in the background on the right too.

2.jpg

• Like Like x 8
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,617
      :wow: I like that Scorpio, I want one! :) Hopefully somebody will id it for you.

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      How very pretty!! And how clever of you to be able to get double growth out of it.

PS: I'm so chuckling over your location :roflol:

• loveweeds

loveweeds Gardener

Ratings:
      +210
      any ideas what plant this is? I guess it is not fully hardy??

• Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
      Ratings:
      +6,654
      Very nice Scorpio; it could be a variety of Rudbeckia or there are perennial Sunflowers, but these tend to be very tall...

I'm not sure whether there are any yellow flowered Asters that look like that? either way it looks promising that it could be a perennial rather than an annual..:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
      • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,089
      • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
        Ratings:
        +6,654
        I have a large clump of perennial sunflower (helianthus) in my garden and is been fantastic this year, only just finished flowering after starting back in late August/early September, but it also attained heights of 7-8ft!!, but as you say there could be a new cultivar that is smaller in nature??? :)

• Scorpio1968

Scorpio1968 Gardener

Ratings:
        +245
        Would you believe it? I dug it up to transfer it to another bed yesterday where there was more room and forgot to look at the label behind it. Mind you i would probably have forgotten by now anyway as it is a long name. I had a look at the Helianthus link above but i'm sure the name is longer than that. As Madahhlia and Bilbo suggested, it could be a cultivar, as the leaves do look the same.

Definitely perennial as this is the second years growth. Hopefully they will be as happy in their new home. I say "they" as when i dug it up it started falling apart in clumps so it was easy to divide it. I've now got 2, one each side of the new bed with the Leucanthemum in the middle and i've got one clump in a pot for the outlaws.

I didn't really do anything to get the height it's at Mum. I've certainly not fed it this year at all and done little watering due to the weather. I guess it just liked the previous aspect. Just got to hope transfering it doesn't have an adverse affect on it. Seemed to be ok this morning which was encouraging.

• Like Like x 1
        • KingEdward

KingEdward Gardener

Ratings:
          +67
          This is a fantastic looking plant. Good photos of it as well. I agree that it looks like a perennial sunflower, but not one I remember seeing before. There are quite a lot of different species, plus various cultivars. Do see if you can find the name of it, as I'd be quite interested in getting one of these.

These do seem to do well with frequent dividing - two other sunflower varieties which I divided either last autumn or this spring grew and flowered much better this year than previously when the clumps had got too congested. I think this year's wet weather has also been pretty good for these.

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,089
          I have a bog standard helianthus all over my garden. It spreads like a weed so I have to give a lot away and start new clumps everywhere. It is totally reliable for fantastic clouds of colour from July to October - not a refined prima donna of a plant but very good value.

It seems to do best in its first planting year - taller, with a longer lasting flowering period. I think this may be because it's often the vigorous new outer sections of the clump that get transplanted.

This year, my clumps have topped 6' for the first time ever, due to the ample watering, I should think.

Yours is even better than mine, though, Scorpio.

• Scorpio1968

Scorpio1968 Gardener

Ratings:
          +245
          Well after all that, i went into the garden this morning to write the name down and the label was gone. It was behind the plant / tree so I think it must have fallen into the hole as it was created when i dug it up and got covered in dirt and buried. I'll have a dig to satisfy my curiosity just in case but in the meantime i think i can confirm that most above suggestions were either correct or along the right lines as i e-mailed the pictures to The Potted Garden where i bought it last year, didn't tell them what we thought and they said it was a new variety last year called Helianthus "Cosmic Whisper".

Below is what it was like (in the very corner) earlier in the year, April i think as i had already planted out the Dahlias.

Helianthus.jpg

But i now have two of them in the new border as it divided itself so i have one each side of the Leucanthemum below. Pity they don't flower at the same time though.

Leucanthemum-1.jpg

Leucanthemum-2.jpg

• Like Like x 4
          • Robajobs

Robajobs I ♥ Organic manure and fine Iranian lagers

One armed Lion Tamer. I'm still learning the Job.
            Ratings:
            +489
            Lots and lots of flowers have been late this year, Mid-November and the garden mums have decided to flower a full 8 weeks later than last year. Penstemons really didn't bother unless in full sun which we haven't had much of anyway!

• Robajobs

Robajobs I ♥ Organic manure and fine Iranian lagers

One armed Lion Tamer. I'm still learning the Job.
            Ratings:
            +489
            Sure has come on Scorpio! A bit like bamboo with flowers!

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
            Ratings:
            +31,192
            I love that Leucanthemum Scorpio,
            Jenny

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
            Ratings:
            +31,192
            I love that leucanthemum Scorpio. Can you tell me which one it is please?
            Jenny