Autumn Leaves (and my conclusions)

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Larkshall, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    We have the problem of leaves every Autumn. last year my wife persuaded me to buy a Black & Decker Blower/Vac (£30.00-), I found that it was not very easy to use so gave up and used a broom and two boards 18" x 12". This year she suggested a blower/vac with wheels, it was still hard work carrying it around (the wheels only support the nozzle. It was supposed to shred the leaves, but the result was hardly noticeable.

My conclusion is that it is easier using the broom and boards, more eco friendly as it takes no electricity to do the job.

2. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I had the same problem with the leaves vac, Larkshall. I found the thing more bother than it was worth.
    If you have a lawnmower which collects the clippings then I found running the lawnmower over the grass sucked up the leaves and shredded them.

3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    It's an art. They use petrol driven ones on our golf course round the bunkers etc. when the big blower on the back of the tractor isn't suitable. They always do a good job.

I've a flymo garden vac, had it for years and used it this morning.

On the path and patio I use a sweeping brush to collect the worst of it and then suck them up with the vac.

I then check which way any wind is blowing and start blowing the leaves towards one end of the garden or towards one side or the other whichever is "downwind." The trick is to have the blower at a shallow angle to the ground to get the best effect.
    I don't get too close to a wall or fence as the leaves will just blow back at me, I stop a few yards away. I then put it on suck and collect them all. OK it's irritating when some of the leaves refuse to move off the lawn when I'm blowing, but I can go back over them with the machine on "suck."

It's good for blowing the leaves on to the border to form a blanket that will protect everything from frost and then rot down.

Once again, our "green bin" is full ready for the collection tomorrow.

4. Iceni

Iceni Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Don't forget a rotary mower is a good way to collect leaves on a lawn.

5. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Ahh!

"Autumn Leaves" comes after "Summertime."

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMmaSaQ6E5w"]YouTube - Classic Jazz Miles Davis (Summertime)[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPHtQn1t1n4"]YouTube - Cannonball Adderley feat. Miles Davis " Autumn Leaves"[/nomedia]

Still my favourites after fifty years.

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,439
    I let nature take it's course, living on the side of a hill helps, they blow into other people's gardens lower down I reckon.

7. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Best to let leaves just mulch in borders brillaint leaf mould .Then surplus goes into compost bin.

8. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    As Scotkat says.. I leave them in the borders for mulch & protection & just rake the lawn & paths..!! :gnthb: But doing it by hand is best I think too.. Never use the electric vac, nasty thing really as you get sprayed with the dust from it...!!!!!!!