Bamboo root barrier

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by dazzler9000, Jul 2, 2022.

Tags:
  1. dazzler9000

dazzler9000 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello,

I'm currently struggling with Bamboo, where it's inching out of the flower bed (previous powers didn't barrier it) and edging towards my lawn.

I've just purchased a 1 metre high root barrier and will be installing it in the coming weeks. I have a mini digger coming to help dig a trench.

Today, I removed most of the root system that I can see and hope to just barrier of the existing plant.

My question is.... when I dig the trench to say 80cm deep x 15 metres long, I'm going to be removing a fair bit of soil. Will this soil need to be disposed of, or can I just put it back in the ground? I only ask as I have no idea if the plant could reform from anything left in the soil?

Thanks

2. dazzler9000

Ratings:
    +1
    Can anyone help with my query?

3. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +609
    I understand some bamboo can be evasive yet Not all varieties of bamboo have such vigorous and aggressive root systems, but those that do will require an effective containment strategy good ones are usually bought one. Imtead of many makeshift devices that dont work. So just in case I would not put back the soil a rihizomes might be in the soil and it could grow over or under the barrier maybe put the soil some where else you can grow bamboo in containers but maybe some on the forum will be able tooffer better advice

• Like Like x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +20,953
      @dazzler9000 do you know which bamboo you have the issue with. It does sound as if you have the solution well in hand though. As for the soil you dig out, I would use it to refill the trench after the root barrier has been fitted. Put the soil on the bamboo side of the root barrier, just in case any bits sprout. I haven't had an issue with bits of root sprouting after I've removed a bamboo. They do take a lot of time to rot down though.
      When my bamboo comes up in the grass it meets the mower on its 6 weekly tour of the grass and problem goes away.
      There are a number of threads on here discussing root barriers for bamboo that might be worth a read also for a bit of light relief see this recent thread Goliath Undefeated ...

• Like Like x 2
      • dazzler9000

Ratings:
        +1
        Thanks for the replies so far.... I'm sorry, I'm unsure of the type. It was there when I moved in, so I didn't plant it as I'm not too fond of the stuff. I've seen how much damage it causes (and work/expense for me). Just a month ago, I had to lift my block paving on the other side of my garden, as my neighbour had planted bamboo, and the root system found its way into my garden.

As mentioned, I have a digger coming in next week. I guess I'll get him to dig down about 70cm and then perhaps fold the other 30cm on top. That should in theory give me the best chance of keeping it contained.

Does anyone know how deep the root systems typically go? In the two instances mentioned, they've almost been on the surface, so maybe 2-8cm below. Can I assume they wouldn't go down below the 70cm barrier?

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,318
        If you're not fond of it dazzler9000 then why keep it? The one that was in my garden when I moved here was clump forming so I didn't have a problem with root spread. Even so it needed to be pruned down regularly and like yourself, not being keen, I had it removed. The roots had gone down between 2-3ft and there was no regrowth after it's removal.

• dazzler9000

Ratings:
        +1
        My wife likes it and it does provide a nice screen from neighbouring properties.

• Like Like x 1
        • flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
          Ratings:
          +1,545
          As long as there are no bits with 'eyes', the soil should be fine to re use.
          If you think you'll end up with night terrors, replace it...but a 15m trench will take quite a bit of soil and could cost as much as a months worth of an elecricity(by todays extortionate prices)

• dazzler9000

Ratings:
          +1
          Thanks Flounder