Bargain Phalaenopsis Orchid Advice

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Aesculus, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    I bought a discounted (66% off:hehe:) Phalaenopsis orchid today and it needs a little TLC as you can see from the photo I think it's probably just been under watered, what would you do? I was thinking of removing some of the obviously wilted flowers and just taking the flowering spikes down to the next node?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hi great buy and I am sure with good tlc you will enjoy your orchid for some time.

Take Orchid out of pot if compost is the moss type tease it all out till you just have roots .

Then repot with fresh good quality orchid compost a little in base of pot then place orchid roots into pot then feed in compost.

If roots are dry give a good drench.

And if orchid blooms going over prune and enjoy orchid in a vase of water .

Check out my privious post I posted alink for a an Orchid Dvd mien arrived onSat and gives you all help and shows many different orchids.

For £14.95 a great by.

3. Aesculus

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Thanks Scotkat it's a bark type compost I think which was drenched when I bought it but the leaves feel soft and not as leathery as i'd expect:skp: so I thought it might have just been watered ...

and for £4.99 it was a bargain:thumb:

4. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
  5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +88,038
    I find that no matter how little you water them the flowers still look good, and after total drought its usually the leaves that suffer.
    Personally, I'd just do as you said, cut the flower stems back to the next node and keep just moist on a bright window sill that does not get cold at night, if it does move it into the room over night.

Beware if that pot has no drainage holes, it could have been overwatered, which is more likely to make the plant look floppy, rather than underwatering, root rot maybe?

6. Aesculus

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Thanks pete I looked at the pot and it's basically in one of those standard clear plastic pots which is inside a stoneware pot so drainage shouldn't be to much of a problem.. but maybe water just built up in the pot:scratch:

well will start it on aesculus's orchid recovery plan and see how it goes:hehe: