1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Barley Straw

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by turniphead, Jun 10, 2011.

1. turniphead

turniphead Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My pond has no filter on it and the water is always green. Got some aerating plants in it that don't seem to do anything.
    Does barley straw clear the water and if so how much of it....
    Help appreciated.

Thanks

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,076
    They say it does, but I'm not sure, I think you need to put it in really early for it to work.
    Get some water cress, and let it float,.
    It pulls out lots of nutrients from the water once it gets established, and if you keep cutting it back its more effective.

3. watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
    +549
    Does the pond have fish? If it does it really should have a bio-filter.

If there are no fish you can try barley straw, barley straw extract, barley straw pellets. (amount depends on product) None are guaranteed to work.

Green water is actually caused by algae which are tiny plants, adding another plant is supposed to remove the nutrients, and reduce light by its leaf size. Its called balancing a pond.
    There is no "recipe" for a balanced pond, its is all down to luck, it works for some and not others, and those it works for some times get a dose of pea soup for "no reason" If there was a recipe for a balanced pond, all pond owners would do it.

The main opinion seems to be have lots of plants (and i mean lots) or a bio filter and UV

• Like Like x 1
    • roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +6,953
      :) I am a great believer in barley straw TH ,until about 5 years ago I used all manner of chemicals and a u/v light and filter and the water was only clear for short periods, if at all.
      My pond has quite a few fish,I now use barley straw with the light and filter,but the barley straw seems to be key,but it does take time to work so needs to be put in early and mid season.You may still get some blanket weed,but it will tend to gather together and can easily be scooped out...........as apposed to a pea souper.
      I hope this helps......good luck.

• Like Like x 1
      • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,125
        Yes agree roders, we use Barley straw & I am a total convert.. You do, however need plenty of oxygenating plants & I mean lots. Allot of people don't realise this & they think a couple will do.. Wrong.! Water Milfoil is a very good one as it is very hardy a floating one so no weights or baskets needed... :D

• capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
        Ratings:
        +1,320
        Yes... it does.
        When I was a water treatment plant engineer we had a lagoon that always suffered from pH and algae problems. As the discharge went to the locall river the EA was all over us if it failed on consent.
        So.. evey year in spring we used to get a whole bale of barley straw (those big round ones) and make up a couiple of large sausages. About 50 Mts long and about this thick. We used the machine and netting that you find wrapped around christmas trees when you buy them. It was two men for a whole day just to prepare it all.
        Takes about 28 days to start working but I can say that it does work.
        On occasions when the sun was strong and maybe the treatment was slightly off we would dump 25 Ltrs of 98% sulphuric acid into the lagoon. That reduced the pH like you would not believe..
        I have a small pond and use about a large grapfruit size barley straw in some netting.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,076
        Anyone know why Barley straw works?

I mean, it seems strange, why not just straw in general.

Or do farmers spray Barley with a certain kind of herbicide thats not used on wheat for example.

I'm not doubting what your saying, I 'm just looking for an explanation.:)

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        I believe there is some sort of mould?? that grows on Barley straw, and that is the chappie that you want - and (local farmer told me) it doesn't grow on, for example, Wheat straw.

• Like Like x 1
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          I put Barley straw in when the algae appears .. clearly this is too late, when you guys say "Mid" / "late season" etc. can you give me an idea of the sort of date when doing this would be "about the right time" please ?

Thanks

• roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +6,953
          :) Hi Kristen,just looked in my diary and we were early this year,I cleaned the pond out end of Feb.and put the wad of barley straw in just right as it proberbly takes four to six weeks before it starts to rot and does it's work.Just as well as we have had a lot of warm sunshine,I have recently put another wad in..................Just as a true believer does :dbgrtmb:.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          When I first built my pond I did some research on the production of algae as it was a subject that kept cropping up in conversations when I mentioned I was making a pond. There were a lot exponents for UV filters, gravel filters etc to the point where I was seriously thinking of going to the expense of installing some.
          Then I had some advice that such equipment was unnecessary, providing you didn't have Koi Carp or abuse the number of fish to the water area rule, and that to get a long term natural balance all you had to do was plant as many marginal plants around/in the pond as possible and also add the oxygenating plants as well. The marginal plants do the main job of extracting the nutrients from the water using it for growth, thereby denying the algae the nutrient in which to bloom and expand. I do agree the oxygenating plants take nutrients out water to grow, and obviously oxygenate the water, but not to the extent of the marginal plants. I also have a bog garden with is integral to the pond and is directly fed by it which adds to the extraction of nutrients from the pond water. Since day one I have always had clear water in the pond, even though I have fish in there.

As said the Barley bale is a well tried and proved method but, I believe, is only used for initial problems with a new pond or when an established pond develops a problem.

Each to their own:D

• Like Like x 1