1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Battery/Cordless Mowers vs. Petrol Mowers

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Jenny McDonnell, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Jenny McDonnell

Jenny McDonnell Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi All
    I'm considering purchasing a new mower for both personal and business use. I am currently using an electric mower but would like to change to either a battery powered or petrol mower due to the health and safety issues of electric cabling.
    Does anyone use or have any experience of a battery powered (cordless) mower for business use? If so what are your experiences and advice?
    What about petrol mowers - an advice on the best petrol mower?
    Any help gratefully received.
    Thanks

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,617
    I don't think using battery power would be ideal in a business situation Jenny. The need to re-charge would become a nuisance. I had a Honda petrol mower for fourteen years and the only reason I had to update was because I couldn't get spares as it aged. I currently have a Hayter and to be honest wouldn't buy another one, it's to temperamental. Next time round I'll go back to a Honda.

Beware of petrol mowers with Chinese engines they are not very reliable.

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,527
      I, also, wouldn't have thought a battery powered mower was of much use and would think that any gardener who used any form of electric mower wasn't particularly professional. (No reflection on your ability :).)

I suppose that an electric is quite sufficient if you only do small lawns but if you want to work for someone with a large lawn you would have problems.

In the last forty years I have only had Hayter machines (with the American Briggs and Stratton engines) and my current one is 19 years old. I have it serviced every other year and it always starts first time.

The top four Best Buy brands recommended by Which? are:-
      Honda (71%)
      Mountfield (70%)
      Al-Ko (68%)
      Hayter (67%)

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Jenny McDonnell

Ratings:
        +2
        Thank you both for your replies. Yes I have noticed from other discussion boards that Honda and Hayter mowers seem to be very popular. Thanks for the stats shiney (:)- no offence taken)!

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,617
        Shiney.....perhaps my Hayter is a Friday afternoon job! :)

I'm surprised Mountfield's are still rated that highly, they now have Chinese engines and I was warned against buying one.

• shiney

Ratings:
        +118,527
        Or a Monday morning one. :sad:

Hayters are only two miles from us and used to have the Villiers engine for its mowers. They went over to Briggs and Stratton in the seventies. In the early 70's we had the Hayterette (one of the early rotary mowers) for cutting the rough areas and an Ambassador cylinder mower ofr the main lawns.

The Ambassador was a fantastic machine and gave the lawns a fabulous cut (it was used by lots of cricket and golf clubs). We eventually had to get rid of the Ambassador as the climate changed enough for the lawns to get too much moss for us to keep on top of it.

We now use a Hayter 56 (replaced by the Harrier 56) which is used by a lot of professionals. It's a self-propelled, walk behind, mower (a ride-on wouldn't suit my garden :heehee:)

The only downside to it is that it's expensive (I got it at 45% off as one of my bridge partners was in senior management and could get 'staff prices') and heavy. It would be no good if you were trying to take it through someone's house to the back garden.

• Like Like x 1
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,193
          I've owned a Hayter Harrier for 19 or 20 years now, it's been very reliable except a couple of years ago the height adjuster rod broke, but the good thing is parts are still readily available and I was able to repair it for next to nothing. I'd buy one again (every spring I think it won't last another year!)

• Like Like x 1
          • Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
            Ratings:
            +857
            Battery mowers will only cope with very small lawns with little growth. If the grass gets long they run out of power in very short time.

Now petrol mowers are something I have quite some experience of.. The best engines on petrol mowers is without doubt Honda. The big advantage of Honda's is they are so easy to start. They are ultra reliable and last for years !

I have 3 mowers.
            A Qualcast 14 inch cylinder mower with the Tecumseh engine. Quite easy to start very quiet and very reliable.
            I have an Atco Balmoral 17 inch cut cylinder mower with a Kawasaki engine. It too is easy to start ultra quiet and copes with large lawns.
            Last up is Honda Izzy 18 inch rotary mower fitted with a Honda auto choke engine. This engine starts first time Every time ! Nice and quiet and exceptional on fuel ! This one is self drive which means you pull up a lever on the handle bar and it moves forward. You release the lever is stops. You can buy one that you simply push,,

The Honda Izzy is or should I say would be the easiest by far for a lady to use ! So easy to start " They have automatic choke so no messing. Just lift the lever pull on the cord handle and away you go !

Cylinder mowers are for flat lawns where stripes are required/desired. They are not so good on anything other than flat lawns though !

Rotary mowers are the "Jack of all trades" machines Equally at home on dead flat lawns as rough ones or ones with gradients.

Any specific questions just ask ..

• Like Like x 1
            • Jenny McDonnell

Ratings:
              +2
              Thanks again for all the information. There are so many manufacturers, engine types etc. to choose from it is definitely best to get advice from people who actually use the machines (unlike most of the dealerships). You are all brill :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
              • shiney

Ratings:
                +118,527
                It also depends on how much you want to spend. As you go up the range in price you get more facilities.

A lot of larger rotary mowers have rear rollers. That way you get the striped effect on the lawn without needing to use a cylinder mower. Some of the smaller rotaries have rear rollers as an optional extra.

The better rear rollers are those that have a split roller. Instead of the roller just being one piece it comes as two pieces. This makes them much more manoeuverable because when you want to turn the mower the rollers pivot individually.

Charlie mentioned 'self-drive'. They are much more professional and take a lot of the effort out of using a mower. So should also reduce the time it takes to mow a lawn.

Hondas don't seem to do a rear roller rotary until you get up to 19" and Hayter seem to start a bit smaller.

Some mowers also have the option of a key start. This is just like putting a key into the ignition of your car and just turning it to start. Less effort and quicker. The mower will also have a pull start in case the battery for the key start is low on power. They normally recharge whilst mowing and can also be charged at home - the battery unclips (it's only a small thing) and you just plug its charger into the mains.

Go to a store that sells a lot of mowers (normal retail sheds may only have smaller ones) and have a look, feel what they're like to manoeuver, and ask lots of questions. Although the salesman should be very knowledgeable (at a good store) just keep in the back of your mind that they sometimes get a better percentage by selling one make instead of another. So visits to two places at least is a good idea. Try Googling 'grass mower dealers' and put your county at the end of it.

Also check the capacity of the grass boxes as the larger it is, within reason, the less times you have to stop and empty it.

So, the important things are: go to a mower dealer, pick the larger mower within your price range but it's best to have a rear roller rotary (split roller if possible), self-drive and good grass box.

A very important thing to do is also check what weight of machine you can cope with for getting it in and out of your vehicle.

A good mower dealer will also sell reconditioned mowers. These can be a very good buy. Any place that services and reconditions them should know a lot about mowers and give good advice.

• Charlie996

Charlie996 Gardener

Retired Builder
                  Ratings:
                  +857
                  Eeeeee I could rabbit about machinery for hours !

But Shiney is bang on so I don't need too ! Good sound advice "

The main thing to work out is which type of machine is best suited. Add the size of the lawn and how flat or steep it is and we have a recipe to follow.

My Honda Rotary is ace for doing along the grass verges in the wee lane we live in. I like to keep it tidy out there. But it doesn't give me the billiard table finish and positive stripes the cylinder mowers give me. I'm a fussy old booooger..

Conversely the cylinder mower would be hopeless in the verges in the lane. Cylinder mowers are for flat ornamental lawns with daft old boooogers fussing over appearance .

I actually love mowing our lawns and I have a passion for machinery. I love taking an old mower stripping it to the last nut and bolt the re building it back to better than new. So a daft . Fussy. And quite mad old boooooger then.

Why not post up your exact requirements ? Budget would help. I.We will then I'm sure try and advise on a suitable product.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • shiney

Ratings:
                    +118,527
                    I'm not as fussy as Charlie and just use the rotary everywhere. As I don't do any DIY on the machine it can get a little lopsided in its cut :sad:, but I just put up with it.

I've just grabbed a couple of photos. This is my main back lawn and you can see that the stripes are quite clear although they're done with a rotary with a roller on the back. You can also see that the mower was lopsided as it cut the right hand edge of the stripe slightly higher than the other :noidea:

P1210806.JPG

This is my main front lawn five days after it was cut and the stripes are still, just about, there.

P1170312.JPG

I also have a wild area that the same mower can cope with when it needs cutting. It's left wild under late summer because we let wild flowers seed there. We get some lovely bee orchids. :blue thumb:

P1170356.JPG

• Useful Useful x 1
                    • Jenny McDonnell

Ratings:
                      +2
                      Hello All
                      I have obviously come to the right place to ask about mowers eh?
                      This is the mower that the dealers keep advising me to buy...
                      18" Gardencare Self Propelled petrol mower (cant seem to post the link...not sure why?)
                      What do you all think?

• shiney

Ratings:
                      +118,527
                      It's a difficult situation. I don't know the product at all but it looks reasonable.

It won't give the lawns the striped effect but do your clients care? To get the stripes you need a rear roller. This increases the price and makes it heavier.

If you can afford it and handle the weight (getting it in and out of your vehicle) I would definitely go for a rear roller.

You may find it much cheaper to go for a reconditioned one from a good dealer.

Good luck. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
                      • Jenny McDonnell

Ratings:
                        +2
                        I am looking at a budget of about £400. So any ideas of good mowers that fit into that price bracket.